Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bizarre failure to combine animated GIF with static image
I tried to use this gif that has a transparent background:

[Image: no%20black_zpsedzkkhav.gif]

to make an animated spout on a whale photo. It seemed like I should be able to use the whale photo as a background and the gif would run on top of it. When I did this keeping it as "replace," the whale flashed on and off and then the gif played. When I tried "combine," the spout did run over the whale image, BUT, the transparent background had changed into a white background:

[Image: white%20cropped_zpsqvhuvukv.gif]

I don't know whether to laugh or cry! What happened here? What obvious issue am I missing? Please tell me I don't have to make 42 layers of the whale image and merge them down with the spout layers!!

{bangs head against wall}
Using OSX but is it Gimp 2.8 or Gimp 2.10?

Your animations only came through here as single layers, however combining an animation with a background, several scripts / plugins that might assist.

This one is easy: http://chiselapp.com/user/saulgoode/repo...combine-bg

goes in your user scripts folder, wherever that is in OSX

a little video demo. https://youtu.be/qJXKMTjZ434 about 3 minutes. everyone finished with this - gone.
WOWSERS, what an amazing accent you have! And thanks for doing that video!

I'm not sure what you were seeing instead of my animations or why, or why, but I've tried uploading the whale to a different place:

[Image: white%2Bcropped.gif]

It works exactly the way it seems like it should, except for the appearance of the white behind the spout... any idea why that's there?

I'm using 2.8.22. It looks totally different than what you have in the video; maybe that's a PC versus Mac thing? I've never seen those little chain things that you were turning on and off before; I have no idea what you were doing there.

I downloaded the script, but I have no idea what to do with it. I tried to open it directly, but the computer didn't recognize the file type or have any idea what to open it with. I tried to get Gimp to open it, and Gimp didn't recognize the file type either…? If I have a user scripts folder, I have no idea where it might be; I did a Google search, but didn't turn anything up. 

Is there any way to get rid of the white background that appeared behind the spout animation? If that can be fixed, I should have a functional gif, without trying to figure out technical stuff that's way above my head. :-)
Quote:..I'm using 2.8.22. It looks totally different than what you have in the video; maybe that's a PC versus Mac thing?..

I use linux and a regular Gimp 2.8 setup in single window mode. If you are using the default multi-window mode try the gimp menu Windows and enable Single Window Mode

Quote:I downloaded the script, but I have no idea what to do with it. I tried to open it directly, but the computer didn't recognize the file type or have any idea what to open it with. I tried to get Gimp to open it, and Gimp didn't recognize the file type either…? If I have a user scripts folder, I have no idea where it might be..

Yeah, It is going to be a long, hard, up-hill, battle for you.

Gimp has a user profile where you keep your personal scripts, plug-ins, brushes, fonts etc. The only note I have about location in a Mac is /Users/'MyName'/Library/Application Support/Gimp/2.8/scripts but I do know this can vary depending where you got GIMP.
There is a reeference here https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/GIMPProfile/

However, always a however. 
That last gif better than the photobucket ones, and as it happens not that difficult to fix. For each layer change replace to combine Wink

You can do that by re-exporting with settings like this:

Although does not teach you much about making animations. Best of luck.
I have no idea what to do with that line that's supposed to locate the scripts folder, so I'm dead in the water there. The thing I needed to know was to check that box; that worked perfectly, and should allow me to make any other animated GIFs that I want as part of a bigger image. Thanks for all your help! Smile
(09-15-2018, 02:48 AM)HavingTooMuchFun Wrote: I have no idea what to do with that line that's supposed to locate the scripts folder, so I'm dead in the water there. The thing I needed to know was to check that box; that worked perfectly, and should allow me to make any other animated GIFs that I want as part of a bigger image. Thanks for all your help! Smile

What line?