Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blending Layers

Hey Gimpers:
Is there a way to blend two layers with out using Opacity?
I want to see the flames through the image of the girl without dropping her opacity to 70%; e.g. like holding two transparencies up to the light.
Much thanks…
Bry
(08-16-2023, 03:05 PM)bcripps Wrote: Is there a way to blend two layers with out using Opacity?

Who told you that?

put the flame on top and put them in screen mode (Luma lighten only works well as well)
If it's her who have a black BG put her on top in screen mode
If the woman as transparency around her, duplicate the flame and put one flame below her (normal mode) AND one above her and the top layer's flame in screen or luma lighten only

A simple tip depending the BG:
white background > Multiply (is in the darken group or any in the same group)
Black background > Screen (is in the lighten group or any in the same group)

Patrice
(08-16-2023, 04:41 PM)PixLab Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 03:05 PM)bcripps Wrote: Is there a way to blend two layers with out using Opacity?

Who told you that?

put the flame on top and put them in screen mode (Luma lighten only works well as well)
If it's her who have a black BG put her on top in screen mode
If the woman as transparency around her, duplicate the flame and put one flame below her (normal mode) AND one above her and the top layer's flame in screen or luma lighten only

A simple tip depending the BG:
white background > Multiply (is in the darken group or any in the same group)
Black background > Screen (is in the lighten group or any in the same group)

Thanks Patrice. I used the Luma Lighten Only mode and it worked perfectly. Easy too!
Again, thank you…
Bry
p { line-height: 115%; margin-bottom: 0.1in; background: transparent }
I tried this : try different blend modes on the flames / statue layers or statue / flames layers, isolate the statue and the flames. Play with different blend modes on copies of the statue to get a satisfied result :

.7z   statue flames.7z (Size: 487.04 KB / Downloads: 76)
(08-16-2023, 05:41 PM)denzjos Wrote: I tried this : try different blend modes on the flames / statue layers or statue / flames layers, isolate the statue and the flames. Play with different blend modes on copies of the statue to get a satisfied result :

That looks great, denzjos. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I’ll play with this later tonight.
So much to learn.
Bry
Why the aversion to transparency ?

As previous posts, a layer mode works but does depend on the background colour, this one black

...but also a quite nice effect (IMHO) with a layer mask obtained from luminosity masks.

(08-16-2023, 03:05 PM)bcripps Wrote: Hey Gimpers:
Is there a way to blend two layers with out using Opacity?
I want to see the flames through the image of the girl without dropping her opacity to 70%; e.g. like holding two transparencies up to the light.
Much thanks…
Bry

Perhaps duplicate the layer with the girl, and put the flames layers in between. Then change the opacity of the top layer. The result will still be fully opaque due to the bottom girl layer.