Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blending and coloring
I just switched to Gimp from Photoshop. I mainly use it to create 2D images of clothing which is then imported into a 3D engine for usage on avatars. I have gone through tutorials and feel I understand blending modes.

The one issue I have with Gimp is that for example I derive an outfit from let's say an image of a Red Dress. I want to make one that is Blue. So I create a new layer and use a foreground color of Blue. When the layer blends with the layer below the Blue for example with Red I don't always get the exact shade I want. I have tried all the main blending modes and still am not happy.

With Photoshop I was able to create an adjustment layer and remove most of the color from the Red layer so that it blended properly and gave me the correct shade of blue I wanted.

There are no adjustment layers with Gimp. What is the best way to remove the color the color of bottom layer so that the Red is removed and leaves a light gray or almost white layer?
Colors ➤ Map ➤ Rotate Colors can work within a very rough selection depending the color differences between the subject and the overall photo
more there is differences in colors between the BG and the FG, less tight need to be your selection

Or
Colors ➤ Colorize but you will need to do a tight selection or have a good mask to not bleed outside. This method is better if you want a very particular color and not a derivation as you can chose the exact code of color you want

Those 2 tools/filters will respect the original shading/liting
Another option is 'Colours / Hue -Saturation'. As PixLab mention, you need a tight mask around the area you want to change colour. In this case, I haven't use a selection on the photo, it's a screendump from the PixLab post. I've changed the 'M' colour :

In my case this is the image I want to change. I want to change this color to lets say 4f86f7. I don't want to blend them. I want to do a complete replace.

Attached Files Image(s)

FWIW I might colour it like this:

https://youtu.be/0WtAoBuCpQQ  3 minutes duration

There might be something in there that you can use.
(07-07-2022, 05:33 PM)BillG1955 Wrote: .../... I have gone through tutorials and feel I understand blending modes.

The one issue I have with Gimp is that for example I derive an outfit from let's say an image of a Red Dress. I want to make one that is Blue. So I create a new layer and use a foreground color of Blue. When the layer blends with the layer below the Blue for example with Red I don't always get the exact shade I want. I have tried all the main blending modes and still am not happy.

(07-08-2022, 09:55 AM)BillG1955 Wrote: In my case this is the image I want to change. I want to change this color to lets say 4f86f7. I don't want to blend them. I want to do a complete replace.

You were blending... @denzjos and I did NOT, we are replacing the said color with our proposed solutions.

@denzjos solution, ~ no real selection needed, depending what you are searching for

rotate color, no selection needed

colorize, you do need to select the dress and isolate the button, or if you want the whole image blue don't select anything

(07-07-2022, 05:33 PM)BillG1955 Wrote: What is the best way to remove the color the color of bottom layer so that the Red is removed and leaves a light gray or almost white layer?

OK, I think we are turning around a table, let's go in the right direction, your explanations are confusing.
What do you want to do exactly? a gray image or a colored image? do you want just the dress to be colored or the whole image? or a black and white?
Is it a map you need?

Just tell us what is the end result you want to achieve. BTW, you don't need to go gray to change a color in GIMP

Please give the full screenshot of GIMP with the layers' stack AKA the layer dialog and all the tools, to at least for us to see what you are trying to do, which will certainly help us ➤ help you to get back in the right direction

(07-07-2022, 05:33 PM)BillG1955 Wrote: With Photoshop I was able to create an adjustment layer and remove most of the color from the Red layer so that it blended properly and gave me the correct shade of blue I wanted.
There are no adjustment layers with Gimp....

I think you have a misconception of what is an adjustment layer.
Definition of adjustment layer: A layer that lets you apply color and tonal adjustments to your image without permanently changing pixel values.
Thus adjustment layer is one thing, the tools used on these adjustment layers are another thing, GIMP has those tools ➤ Please tell us which tool did you used on PS on an adjustment layer.
My take:

* Get a selection on the dress
* Add a new layer
* Bucket-fill the selection with a fully saturated color (say, pure blue)
* Set Layer mode to LCH color
* Use Colors > Hue-Chroma or Colors > Hue-Saturation to adjust that color.

that video is perfect. That is exactly what I was looking for. Desaturating the existing color and replacing it with another. Thank you very much.