Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotating the entire frame of reference
GIMP 2.10.30 on Xubuntu 20.04

While performing other operations, I have found that the entire frame of reference for gimp (image, guides, etc.) is rotated by holding Shift-B2 (middle mouse button) and dragging the mouse.  [Note that this is NOT the same as using the Rotate tool to physically rotate the image itself withing the fixed overall frame of reference.]  This always happens accidentally and I have found no way to reset the view back to normal.

Here are my questions:

1: Is this type of rotation documented in the manual?

2: Why would you want to do this?  When you save the "rotated" image it seems to be the same as "non-rotated".

3: Is there any way to reset the view back to the normal exactly orthogonal position?

4: Is there a way to disable the Shift-B2 assignment so that this doesn't happen?

Thanks.
3- "View/Flip & Rotate/Reset Flip & Rotate"

4 - Probably not short of removing the mouse button ;-)

See also:
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Disable-Flip-Rotate
Fantastic. Thanks for the information. After many years of using GIMP I still wasn't aware of the View->Flip & Rotate feature. Thanks for pointing it out. At least I can now use '!' to reset the rotation when it gets screwed up.

Regards.
(02-05-2022, 10:25 PM)cjsmall Wrote: GIMP 2.10.30 on Xubuntu 20.04

While performing other operations, I have found that the entire frame of reference for gimp (image, guides, etc.) is rotated by holding Shift-B2 (middle mouse button) and dragging the mouse.  [Note that this is NOT the same as using the Rotate tool to physically rotate the image itself withing the fixed overall frame of reference.]  This always happens accidentally and I have found no way to reset the view back to normal.

Here are my questions:

1: Is this type of rotation documented in the manual?

2: Why would you want to do this?  When you save the "rotated" image it seems to be the same as "non-rotated".

3: Is there any way to reset the view back to the normal exactly orthogonal position?

4: Is there a way to disable the Shift-B2 assignment so that this doesn't happen?

Thanks.

New in 2.10. For your questions:

1. Sort of, see this.
  2. Mostly useful for the people with a tablet. When you draw with pencil and paper, you often rotate the paper.
  3. Hitting !
  4. No, but see #3. Note that in 2.8, the middle button was already used to pan the canvas in the window, and in 2.10 Ctrl-Middle is the zoom control, so there is some logic in that function.