Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overwriting 'software' EXIF tag
Hi!

I'm new to the forum and scripting, and have little GIMP experience.

I am working on my first python-fu script, which opens jpg files, changes them, and saves to new jpg files.

Is there a way to save a file with pdb.file_jpeg_save(), while overwriting the 'software' exif tag?

Even though I set the tag with pdb.gimp_image_set_metadata(), the resulting file has 'GIMP 2.10.32' as its value.

I'm running GIMP on Debian.

Thanks a lot!
Can't see any way to change the EXIF metadata in the UI (you can mostly change XMP/IPTC) . IMHO you'll have to use exiftool on the output file right after saving it.

And if you try to hide that Gimp was involved, there are several other things to check, such as the name of the color profile and several XMP tags:

Code:
>exiftool Image.jpg | grep -i -e gimp -e 2.10 -e linux
Software                        : GIMP 2.10.32
Document ID                     : gimp:docid:gimp:479ce2a8-d278-4625-b830-5b98b9f9b5e8
Platform                        : Linux
Version                         : 2.10.32
Creator Tool                    : GIMP 2.10
History Software Agent          : Gimp 2.10 (Linux)
Profile Description             : GIMP built-in sRGB
Device Mfg Desc                 : GIMP
(11-20-2022, 11:22 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Can't see any way to change the EXIF metadata in the UI (you can mostly change XMP/IPTC) . IMHO you'll have to use exiftool on the output file right after saving it.

And if you try to hide that Gimp was involved, there are several other things to check, such as the name of the color profile and several XMP tags:

Code:
>exiftool Image.jpg | grep -i -e gimp -e 2.10 -e linux
Software                        : GIMP 2.10.32
Document ID                     : gimp:docid:gimp:479ce2a8-d278-4625-b830-5b98b9f9b5e8
Platform                        : Linux
Version                         : 2.10.32
Creator Tool                    : GIMP 2.10
History Software Agent          : Gimp 2.10 (Linux)
Profile Description             : GIMP built-in sRGB
Device Mfg Desc                 : GIMP

That's very nice to know! I was trying not to depend on other tools like exiftool, which would be one more thing for people to install in order to use my script, but I guess I'll have to.

Played around with exiftool a little bit and managed to overwrite all these gimp related tags.

Again, thank you very much.