Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bold not working anymore.
I've been working on a comic and for the text I would sometimes bold key words in the dialogue but now the bold feature just isn't working. I've been using the same font since I started and it used to bold but now it doesn't so I think it was an update that messed something up for it. I'm on gimp 2.10.36 and I tried going back to 2.10.0 but that still didn't fix it so I think I'd need to try 2.9 or something even older so if anyone knows where I can download that I'd appreciate that. Also if there's any way for me to fix it in this specific version I'd like to know that too. I read something about faux-bold which doesn't require the font to have a bold version but I don't know if that's a feature but if it is I'd like to know where to enable it. Thanks.
(02-23-2024, 02:11 PM)kar0606 Wrote: I've been working on a comic and for the text I would sometimes bold key words in the dialogue but now the bold feature just isn't working. I've been using the same font since I started and it used to bold but now it doesn't so I think it was an update that messed something up for it. I'm on gimp 2.10.36 and I tried going back to 2.10.0 but that still didn't fix it so I think I'd need to try 2.9 or something even older so if anyone knows where I can download that I'd appreciate that. Also if there's any way for me to fix it in this specific version I'd like to know that too. I read something about faux-bold which doesn't require the font to have a bold version but I don't know if that's a feature but if it is I'd like to know where to enable it. Thanks.

You are probably only missing the file for the bold version of the font (btw, what font is this?). As far as I now there has never been a "bold" option in Gimp (I just checked that there is none in my old 2.8 version), besides picking the bold version of the font (that may be called something else, such as "Heavy"...).

And there is no build-in faux-bold, at best you grow the character  outlines by a few pixels, but you have to first add spacing to the characters and maybe even compensate for the baseline misalignment.
(02-23-2024, 02:11 PM)kar0606 Wrote: I've been working on a comic and for the text I would sometimes bold key words in the dialogue but now the bold feature just isn't working. ....snip,,, I read something about faux-bold which doesn't require the font to have a bold version but I don't know if that's a feature but if it is I'd like to know where to enable it.

You will need to select the text using the on-canvas dialogue

This one bottom to top
(1) A standard font.
(2) The bold version of the font
(3) The selected 'faux bold' standard font.

Are you reporting that the selected does not work with your installation ?
(02-23-2024, 03:55 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 02:11 PM)kar0606 Wrote: I've been working on a comic and for the text I would sometimes bold key words in the dialogue but now the bold feature just isn't working. I've been using the same font since I started and it used to bold but now it doesn't so I think it was an update that messed something up for it. I'm on gimp 2.10.36 and I tried going back to 2.10.0 but that still didn't fix it so I think I'd need to try 2.9 or something even older so if anyone knows where I can download that I'd appreciate that. Also if there's any way for me to fix it in this specific version I'd like to know that too. I read something about faux-bold which doesn't require the font to have a bold version but I don't know if that's a feature but if it is I'd like to know where to enable it. Thanks.

You are probably only missing the file for the bold version of the font (btw, what font is this?). As far as I now there has never been a "bold" option in Gimp (I just checked that there is none in my old 2.8 version), besides picking the bold version of the font (that may be called something else, such as "Heavy"...).

And there is no build-in faux-bold, at best you grow the character  outlines  by a few pixels, but you have to first add spacing to the characters and maybe even compensate for the baseline misalignment.

I'm using the 'Next Sunday' font. It's the same one I was using when the bold was working for me. I looked in the files and there's only one for this font just the 'Next Sunday Regular' and no heavy or bold version. If I open up an old file from when it was working and edit the bolded text I can un-bold it (though this will un-bold every other instance of bold in the text now) and I'm not able to undo back to it.

(02-23-2024, 05:23 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 02:11 PM)kar0606 Wrote: I've been working on a comic and for the text I would sometimes bold key words in the dialogue but now the bold feature just isn't working. ....snip,,, I read something about faux-bold which doesn't require the font to have a bold version but I don't know if that's a feature but if it is I'd like to know where to enable it.

You will need to select the text using the on-canvas dialogue

This one bottom to top
(1) A standard font.
(2) The bold version of the font
(3) The selected 'faux bold' standard font.

Are you reporting that the selected does not work with your installation ?

Yes that is what I'm reporting. But the font I was using doesn't have a bold version and it still worked.

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-23-2024, 07:10 PM)kar0606 Wrote: Yes that is what I'm reporting. But the font I was using doesn't have a bold version and it still worked.  

Well, that is what I meant.

This the display in a dark theme ? Bold icon ? Wonderful, not that I ever criticise the Gimp devs choice of Gimp themes. Wink