Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken fonts after Ubuntu upgrade to 20.04
Eventually upgraded my Ubuntu from 19.10 to 20.04. In the process a bunch of fonts are broken:
  • Display as square with hex code
  • Seems to affect a bunch of "L" font : "URW Bookman L", "URW Palladio L", "Nimbus Sans L", "Century Schoolbook L"... while there are non-L versions
  • Also some others (Bitstream Charter, Courier, Courier 10...)
  • These fonts are found by the font manager (but not listed in some apps, such as LibreOffice)
  • I don't remember installing these fonts from other sources (I usually keep the downloaded ZIP around)
Any idea of what is going on? And how can I reset Gimp's font catalog?
You might have a font cache/config problem.
I found that

https://askubuntu.com/questions/841706/a...gible-help
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1224125/...untu-18-04

(03-07-2022, 10:32 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Eventually upgraded my Ubuntu from 19.10 to 20.04. In the process a bunch of fonts are broken:
  • I don't remember installing these fonts from other sources (I usually keep the downloaded ZIP around)

Yea... each upgrade I got bunch of font (like 1Gb) that I did already removed, like all the font from languages that I don't even know they existed
I have a .sh for that (fix also the font cache)

Code:
#!/bin/bash
    # www.riksoft.it/wikiriks
    # Remove all oriental fonts in Mint 18 (surely OK for Ubuntu 16 as well)

for i in fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one fonts-khmeros-core fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-guru fonts-nanum fonts-noto-cjk fonts-takao-pgothic fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-guru-extra fonts-lao fonts-sil-padauk fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-tlwg-* fonts-lohit-* fonts-beng fonts-beng-extra fonts-gargi fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr fonts-gujr-extra fonts-kalapi fonts-lohit-gujr fonts-samyak-* fonts-noto-unhinted fonts-noto-hinted fonts-navilu fonts-nakula fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sahadeva fonts-sarai fonts-smc fonts-telu-extra fonts-wqy-microhei; do
      sudo apt purge -y $i
      echo
    done

echo "==== Fixing font cache"
    sudo fc-cache -f -v && sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig

echo "==== Packages remained (each containing multiple fonts)"
    dpkg -l fonts\*|grep ^ii|awk '{print $2}'

echo
    read -p "Press any key to close."

I also have this to clean deeper (but careful it might remove some you want to keep)

Code:
sudo apt-get remove fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one fonts-khmeros-core fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-guru fonts-nanum fonts-noto-cjk fonts-takao-pgothic fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-guru-extra fonts-lao fonts-sil-padauk fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-tlwg-* fonts-lohit-* fonts-beng fonts-beng-extra fonts-gargi fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr fonts-gujr-extra fonts-kalapi fonts-lohit-gujr fonts-samyak-* fonts-navilu fonts-nakula fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sahadeva fonts-sarai fonts-smc fonts-telu-extra fonts-wqy-microhei

sudo apt purge fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one \
fonts-khmeros-core fonts-lklug-sinhala \
fonts-lohit-guru fonts-guru fonts-nanum \
fonts-noto-cjk fonts-takao-pgothic \
fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-guru-extra \
fonts-lao fonts-sil-padauk fonts-sil-abyssinica \
fonts-tlwg-* && sudo apt autoremove

sudo apt remove fonts-lao fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-sil-padauk fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-thai-tlwg
Is it not the no longer supported type 1 fonts /usr/share/fonts/type1/urw-base35/ that are scrambled

While the ones that show are opentype /usr/share/fonts/opentype/urw-base35/

edit: I am on kubuntu 20.04 (new laptop since last August) still getting to grips with it.

The font manager 0.7.7 will take you to the font location and it does look like type 1 / otf versions.

top is otf / bottom type 1 https://i.imgur.com/bi3X5x8.jpg

edit again: There is this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1275168/...buntu-20-0
OK, so I should just uninstall all the type1 and rerun fontconfig?
(03-07-2022, 09:53 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: OK, so I should just uninstall all the type1 and rerun fontconfig?

Depends if you will ever need them and how annoying they are in the Gimp font listing.

Currently using Gimp 2.10.30 from the Panda Jim PPA and type 1 fonts are broken there.
..Also have a Gimp 2.10.14 appimage (last one where seamless clone works) and the fonts are ok in that. The difference between libcairo 1.5 and 1.6 I think.

AFAIK the type 1 fonts not working in LibreOffice for some time. Any old documents that might require them ?

Probably best to back them up & remove. There are 35 pfb fonts 53 pfb fonts and 36 replacement otf fonts. A little project to identify the ones that might need converting like the Courier font.