Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brushes and Dynamics
Hello Everyone,

I've switched over to Gimp from Photoshop and the process here just seems insanely bulky. Am I missing something? I've created several custom brushes and dynamics, but each needs to be selected separately every time I switch to a different brush, and every time I switch between the Pencil, Paintbrush, and Eraser tools. Is it possible to link custom brushes to the Pencil, Paintbrush, and Eraser tool? Is it possible to link custom dynamics to custom brushes? If not, how do you guys handle your workflow???

Thanks,
RITA
1) Edit>Preferences>Tool options>Paint options shared between tools

2) You can save "tool presets" (see the row of icons at the bottom of the tool options dialog) where you can save complete tool settings, for instance brush+size+dynamics+smooth line options.
What ofnuts said.

I agree with OP that Gimp's approach is not ideal.
It gets especially bulky, when you use ofnuts' addon-manager, but forgot which brush folder is connected to a specific brush.
Plus the dynamics list can become extremely crowded when you have a lot of different tool presets. No brush behaviour preview and a lot of flicking through dropdown menus to check out what a specific dynamic does.

You could also consider checking out Krita, which is a more painting oriented program.
(12-07-2019, 04:17 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: 1) Edit>Preferences>Tool options>Paint options shared between tools

2) You can save "tool presets" (see the row of icons at the bottom of the tool options dialog) where you can save complete tool settings, for instance brush+size+dynamics+smooth line options.

Thank you, that's just what I needed! Smile

(12-07-2019, 04:48 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: What ofnuts said.

I agree with OP that Gimp's approach is not ideal.
It gets especially bulky, when you use ofnuts' addon-manager, but forgot which brush folder is connected to a specific brush.
Plus the dynamics list can become extremely crowded when you have a lot of different tool presets. No brush behaviour preview and a lot of flicking through dropdown menus to check out what a specific dynamic does.

You could also consider checking out Krita, which is a more painting oriented program.

Yes! I actually took a break from Gimp to check out Krita and I really like it. They're both good for different things, but I'll definitely be using Krita for my illustration based stuff. Thank's for your help! Smile