Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucket Fill circle-slash, cannot overcome
Win10, Gimp 2.10, newly installed. What I did: I opened an image file in Gimp, which is a business card and I wish to change the color of the yellow text line.  I selected the line using Select->(By Color).  The text is correctly shown selected.  Next choose BucketFill->(Fill similar colors).  But the icon shows the circle-slash icon and has no effect.
  •  I have pored over many internet advice columns.  Most of them say I need to do Layer->(New from Visible).  When I do this I see another layer on the right labeled Visible, which looks just like the basic layer.  But this is no help.  There is other advice--maybe something is locked, etc.  I have tried some of them but since this is a brand new project, I
    doubt if project history is to blame.
  • I can create a rectangular region and bucket-fill that very readily.  Select-All can be filled.  I suppose my image is technically the background and the text is not really selected.  But I am sadly missing the GIMP view of my project.
There are a few possibilities.

Top of the layers dock is a 'lock pixels' does what it says and makes any change impossible. If a transparent layer also a lock transparency. Make sure these are off.

Not in the selected area. Text especially, make sure the bucket fill tool is inside the selection. (and with fill whole selection in the tool options)

The layer visibility toggle is off (the eye icon next to the layer )

An quick demo animation of that: https://i.imgur.com/5xMbb0h.mp4

Otherwise post a screenshot of the whole Gimp interface showing layers and tool options.

Note: Selecting text to change the colour is not a good way to proceed much better to re-create the text.
rich2005: Thank you for your help.  I regret taking so long to get back.
* This was a business card and I wanted to just change he color of a line but not really change the font.  And, yes, rewriting the line was much easier.
* Back to my issue: When selecting text by color (yellow, on white), the selected part of the text was very very thin and it seemed like there was no place to bucket-fill--at a threshold of 15 or whatever the default was.  Only by very slowly moving the cursor could I find the few pixels that did not show the stop-sign.  Zoom would have helped but I did not understand what was the the problem.