Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP not recognising some ttf fonts...
I have found tantalising hints about this problem here and there but no real explanation and no solutions.

I have some trusty old fonts that I'm quite fond of and have used in graphical layouts for many years.

These fonts still look fine in Apple's FontBook.  I can still set text with them in TextEdit.

GIMP continues to see these fonts in its master Fonts Menu as always.

However, it is not drawing the glyphs for these fonts at all.  Instead it is representing them as rectangles containing ASCII code values.

WTH?

I've never had a problem with GIMP and fonts before.  There seems to be no particular rhyme or reason to the failure -- it's not like "only all-caps fonts are failing", or "only fonts with no boldface and italic option are failing."  It seems kind of random.

The one I first noticed was Bank Gothic, an oldie but a goodie.  Then I realised that in the GIMP Font Menu there were some other fonts with no rendition, just ASCII codes.  It's not a large percentage of my font library but it does include some of my favourites.  Grrr!

Does anyone have a clue?
Not many MacOS users here. (only occasional posters) A try out of the Bank Gothic font in linux / Gimp 2.10.34 and no problem. Fonts come from dafontfree and freefontsfamily so they are ttf but not specifically MacOS fonts.

I do remember from some time ago Mac users having problems with Font Book, it might be a permissions problem or a country location setting, the font showing the wrong code page. You could check the Font Book settings.

As a start, have you put one of the problem fonts directly into the Gimp User fonts folder. Not sure where that is these days, might be something like /Users/your-id/Library/Application Support/Gimp/2.10/fonts