Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I add custom buttons?
I just picked up a Surface to try to use it for a drawing tablet.
Since GIMP doesn't work properly with Surface's API there are a number of features I could really use a convenient way to get around.
What I'm thinking I could really use is a way to create custom buttons I could add into the interface.  For example, undo/redo.  I'd like to add an undo button into my UI that I can just click for a simple one-button effect.
There are other commands I'd like to add as well, like I'm thinking buttons to zoom in and out since half the time when I try to pinch the screen I end up drawing on it.

Fundamentally I'm just wanting to add command I normally use the keyboard for to some sort of custom toolbar.
Is there any way to do this?

Also, mostly unrelated, but the latest version of GIMP looks way different than what I'm used to, and I'm curious what kind of options I have to change my UI's theme.  I was poking around and saw something in the settings where it listed paths to themes, but I didn't find where to actually change them.  I'm wondering what kind of options I might have for creating custom themes so I can fit the UI better.  Between the surface's size/resolution some things just feel the wrong size to me, and I might just want to completely customize a lot of these things.
Quote:Fundamentally I'm just wanting to add command I normally use the keyboard for to some sort of custom toolbar.
Is there any way to do this?

Essentially no. You would have to re-write the Gimp code to add extra icons. Not practical.
As an experiment, do you have a virtual keyboard? Does it work with Gimp? Easy to check, does the X key swap FG/BG colours. If it does try and find a virtual keyboard that can be customised in some way to use the keyboard shortcuts. (A long shot, does not work in linux)

Quote:Also, mostly unrelated, but the latest version of GIMP looks way different than what I'm used to, and I'm curious what kind of options I have to change my UI's theme. I was poking around and saw something in the settings where it listed paths to themes, but I didn't find where to actually change them. I'm wondering what kind of options I might have for creating custom themes so I can fit the UI better. Between the surface's size/resolution some things just feel the wrong size to me, and I might just want to completely customize a lot of these things.

Change themes and Icons in Edit -> Preferences then the Themes and Icons options

Themes

[Image: IGpgmST.jpg]

Not all of the old Gimp 2.8 themes work well with Gimp 2.10 Some do.
Put the theme file in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\themes and it shows in the list.

Icons: colour icons and size adjustment

[Image: PN7yFgF.jpg]
(11-23-2019, 08:22 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Essentially no. You would have to re-write the Gimp code to add extra icons. Not practical.

Dang.

Are those custom themes doing anything more than change the color and icons? Because if that's the extent of their options then that won't help me much.

One of the things that's starting to annoy me is the color box at the bottom of the toolbox; It would be nice if I could resize that. (Also I miss having the active brush and pattern shown right next to it.)
And I keep getting thrown by the change to gimp color selector. The box used to be orientated a different way, so moving left/right changed the value, not saturation. Is there any way to set that back?
Everything else seems to be details that I suppose I could just get used to, like the size the brushes are displayed at, the sizes of the scroll bars, and other minor points.

(11-23-2019, 08:22 PM)rich2005 Wrote: As an experiment, do you have a virtual keyboard?  Does it work with Gimp?  Easy to check, does the X key swap FG/BG colours. If it does try and find a virtual keyboard that can be customised in some way to use the keyboard shortcuts. (A long shot, does not work in linux)

That does actually work with the system's default virtual keyboard, but pulling that up requires tapping an icon first, then I have to close it when I'm done. At that point it is technically less efficient than selecting "undo" from the menu, except that the buttons are easier to hit.
Maybe I could find a program that lets me have a much smaller virtual keyboard comprised of just shortcuts that could take up just a tiny edge of the screen so it wouldn't be a hassle to leave it open.

...I really want this Surface to work for me so I can draw digitally on the go. But I'm morally opposed to paying a regular fee to use a program.
The docks location and size can be changed just the same as earlier Gimps. I still favour the Gimp 2.8 arrangement and a light theme. Matter of preference.

Quote:That does actually work with the system's default virtual keyboard

I am a linux user and unlikely to get anything with a touchscreen in the foreseeable future. Plus my 15 year old Wacom tablet works better with Gimp 2.10.14 than ever before.

But if a virtual keyboard works, this was my initial thought. Something like https://www.kryptel.com/articles/keyboards.php