Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I interleave two layer groups?
Please have a look at the following image:

[Image: ship shading above apple.png]

I have circled in blue the problem I'm trying to solve. Part of the shading on the ship is over top the apple. So why not move the ship shading layer below that of the apple? The problem is the ship shading is part of a group (called "shading") which includes a layer of the shading on the apple too. If I move the shading group below the layer of the apple, the apple will lose its shading (it will be over top it).

I'm wondering if there's a way to take layers in a group which is above layers in another group and interleave them with layers in the lower group. After all, putting layers in a group serves a completely different function than ordering layers above and below each other. Grouping is all about organizing layers related in some way, not about ordering them according to above/below. Therefore, I would think grouping layers together should HAVE to mean the layers in one group will necessarily ALL be above or below layers in another group.

Is this true? Is there a way to do what I want in Gimp?

Thanks.
Actually groups are about controlling the order of blending/composition. They act like parentheses in mathematics (which is why you can set a blending mode on the layer).

in you case the real solution is to have separate layers for the ship and the apple. They are different objects, you may also need to move them around...
Just to add to what Ofnuts said:

It would be better to have the apple and its shading in one group, and the ship and its shading in another group.
"It would be better to have the apple and its shading in one group, and the ship and its shading in another group."

^ That's what I'm thinking. The ship and the apple are already on different layers.