Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can gimp Handle Very Large Images (jpg, jpeg)
I have a jpeg image approximately 65,000 pix X 24,000 pix and the file size is almost 79MB.
Last time I tried to load the image in gimp with default settings, I’ve never modified any settings, gimp would become unresponsive.
My computer had 8GB of DDR3 RAM. The OS I was using at the time was Windows 7, Fedora and Linux Mint.
Gimp in all of these had trouble opening the file.

Are there any options in gimp that would improve the way memory is used for the image to load before Christmas?

My primary goal was to divide the image into multiple parts so I could play around with the smaller sized images. I need to preserve the quality of the image as I do this also.
The image is the Great Isaiah scroll from Wikipedia commons.
You may want to download the latest version for a start (assuming you have version 2.14 from your bio..) https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Now, do you mean this one which is 63744x2506 (jpeg, 72.6 MB)? - The Great Isaiah Scroll - if so I just opened it using GIMP 2.10.18 and it opened in about 10 seconds (Windows 10, 16GB RAM), if it was really 65000x24000 as you say, then no doubt that would take a while to open up, but I don't see why not.
If you want to click on - Edit > Preferences > System Resources - before you open the image and increase 'Maximum New Image Size' then that could help though for a 70-odd MB image that might not be an issue.. but check it anyway is my advice.
(09-05-2020, 08:01 PM)theBest Wrote: I have a jpeg image approximately 65,000 pix X 24,000 pix and the file size is almost 79MB.
Last time I tried to load the image in gimp with default settings, I’ve never modified any settings, gimp would become unresponsive.
My computer had 8GB of DDR3 RAM. The OS I was using at the time was Windows 7, Fedora and Linux Mint.

Are there any options in gimp that would improve the way memory is used for the image to load before Christmas?

My primary goal was to divide the image into multiple parts so I could play around with the smaller sized images. I need to preserve the quality of the image as I do this also.

See Edit>Preferences>System resources>Tile cache size. This is more or less a cap on Gimp's RAM usage, if it needs more memory it starts doing its own swapping to disk. You can of course set this very high but then all the applications will swap. A good number is your RAM size minus whatever is needed for OS and usual apps, like around 6GB or even 7GB on your system. You can also reduce the size of the Undo Stack in the same dialog (levels and RAM). You can also use Edit>Undo history and click the shredder icon to remove undo stack entries and recover the RAM.

On my PC, the file loads in Gimp in a few seconds, and Gimp then uses 1.5GB. Adding layers takes about 500MB of RAM per layer. Tried a Wavelet decompose and it ran in 45 seconds (and Gimp was using 10GB at the end). So  editing that file in 8GB is going to be  a tight fit.
(09-05-2020, 10:19 PM)Zero01 Wrote: You may want to download the latest version for a start (assuming you have version 2.14 from your bio..) https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Now, do you mean this one which is 63744x2506 (jpeg, 72.6 MB)? - The Great Isaiah Scroll - if so I just opened it using GIMP 2.10.18 and it opened in about 10 seconds (Windows 10, 16GB RAM), if it was really 65000x24000 as you say, then no doubt that would take a while to open up, but I don't see why not.
If you want to  click on - Edit > Preferences > System Resources - before you open the image and increase 'Maximum New Image Size' then that could help though for a 70-odd MB image that might not be an issue.. but check it anyway is my advice.

I was trying to remember the version I used at the time I had the issue.
24000 was a typo was trying to type 2400.

It took a little longer than ten seconds for me to open the file but I did open it.

(09-05-2020, 10:57 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 08:01 PM)theBest Wrote: I have a jpeg image approximately 65,000 pix X 24,000 pix and the file size is almost 79MB.

See Edit>Preferences>System resources>Tile cache size. This is more or less a cap on Gimp's RAM usage, if it needs more memory it starts doing its own swapping to disk. You can of course set this very high but then all the applications will swap. A good number is your RAM size minus whatever is needed for OS and usual apps, like around 6GB or even 7GB on your system. You can also reduce the size of the Undo Stack in the same dialog (levels and RAM). You can also use Edit>Undo history and click the shredder icon to remove undo stack entries and recover the RAM.

On my PC, the file loads in Gimp in a few seconds, and Gimp then uses 1.5GB. Adding layers takes about 500MB of RAM  per layer. Tried a Wavelet decompose and it ran in 45 seconds (and Gimp was using 10GB at the end). So  editing that file in 8GB is going to be  a tight fit.

I did play with the tile cache size to give myself a just in case edge. I definitely don't want to be doing anything to the full size image because I know each step requires memory.

As examples of things I wanted to investigate further:
One, on the first page between the lines of text in the upper right, there is a water discoloration which spells "JEW".
Two, There is a big blackspot over an area which may or may not contain letters. At first to my eye this spot appeared to be higher in the image as opposed to the level of the text. Asking myself the question, "Why does a hole have substance, and why is it raised parallel to the surface?"
Three, there is a circular water spot which occurs on a line of text obscuring one or two letters.
All of this occurs within the first few pages.
It also seems that in some voids/holes there is paint brush work, some of these voids/holes are covering text.
JPL converted the original negatives into the digital photographic presentation everyone uses. So I wondered, did this Nazi organization alter, add or subtract information, their digital photographic work as it is the only source used by everyone?

Of course, working with a jpg image, its compressed, therefore manipulation information can be lost and so discovering what manipulations were done to an image can be difficult or impossible.

To add effects or filters, or whatever photo manipulation action I could perform on each area with the whole image open would create a headache, this is why I want to play with it in chunks.

I am at least capable of opening this image and able to make copies of smaller sections.
Thank you for the help.