Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can gimp create stitched bitmaps?
I am an audio vst/instrument developer, I have always used a program called knobman for all of my bitmap graphics for my interfaces.

with OSX catalina knobman is having some serious issues and I need to look for a longterm alternative.

I google searched "creating stitched bitmap graphics in gimp" and found several videos regarding stitched textures, as in making the graphic look like it had been sew together, which is not what I need.

In knobman I could just create a circular knob with a center point maker and set it to rotate from -165 to +165 across 100 frames and then export t to create simple knobs for my instrument designs.

I can't quite figure out if gimp can do this or not, and if it does I haven't figured out how to do it.

Can gimp do this, create stitched interface graphics based upon degrees of rotation across a set number of frames?

Thanks.
Can you attach an example file because it will help with understanding what you mean by "stitched" (This term is usually used for "stitching" multi image panoramas )
yeah, here...

It's for use is software interfaces, there is a circular image of a knob, it rotates a little on each frame and there are 100 or so images all connected together so that when the user mouse drags the control on screen they see the knob rotate as it scrolls through the frames of the image.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

So the answer is yes:

I used a couple of Ofnuts' scripts: ofn-rotate-layer.py and ofn-layer-tiles.py

(although I had to alter ofn-rotate-layer.py to make it re-size the layers after rotation otherwise the tile script complained that the layers weren't all the same size)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

cool, thank you, I'll have to learn some more about scripts before I dive into this.
(05-13-2020, 01:57 PM)Kevin Wrote: So the answer is yes:

(although I had to alter ofn-rotate-layer.py to make it re-size the layers after rotation otherwise the tile script complained that the layers weren't all the same size)

No sure it is the right way, you would have to rotate only the center, otherwise the lighting on the bezel rotates with the button. 

So, IMHO:
  • extract the button top
  • generate N rotated copies (if the button top is a true circle, no resize needed later)
  • use ofn-interleave-layers to reapply the rotated tops to copies of the bezel
  • use ofn-layer-tiles to rebuild the sprite sheet
(05-13-2020, 12:48 PM)Kevin Wrote: Can you attach an example file because it will help with understanding what you mean by "stitched" (This term is usually used for "stitching" multi image panoramas )

(05-14-2020, 11:06 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:

No sure it is the right way, you would have to rotate only the center, otherwise the lighting on the bezel rotates with the button. 

So, IMHO:
  • extract the button top
  • generate N rotated copies (if the button top is a true circle, no resize needed later)

Is sprite sheet what you guys call a series or connected graphics designed to create an animated movement?
(05-27-2020, 09:38 PM)mike_o Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 12:48 PM)Kevin Wrote: Can you attach an example file because it will help with understanding what you mean by "stitched" (This term is usually used for "stitching" multi image panoramas )

(05-14-2020, 11:06 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:

So, IMHO:
  • extract the button top

Is sprite sheet what you guys call a series or connected graphics designed to create an animated movement?

A sprite sheet is a single image, divided in equally sized tiles, where each tile can be a frame of an animation
"A sprite sheet is a single image, divided in equally sized tiles, where each tile can be a frame of an animation"

Thats exactly what I need to make in gimp, are there any tutorials specific to this subject?