Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone help me with this tutorial? (gradient effect to text on different layer)
https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/77527/how-to-make-retro-80s-chrome-text-in-gimp

This is the tutorial I'm trying to use. On the "Text Shading" step, he creates layers above the text layer, and puts them in value mode. He then applies the gradient/blur tool to this layer, and it affects the text layer underneath it. I haven't been able to recreate this for some reason. I noticed that in the picture the layer mode is actually set to multiply, but even by doing this, I can't get the gradient applied to the text. When I make the layer, it defaults to transparent, could this be why?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Hate those black Gimp themes.

While multiply and value modes work in very different ways, in this particular case I do not think it matters. I tend towards multiply.

When stuck on a sequence of steps like that tutorial, my advice is isolate the steps so the various interactions are easily seen and experimented with.

Black base layer
Grey text layer
black to transparent gradient layer.

Experiment with the layer modes and turn the base layer off to better see the effect.

[Image: YvKo1Nr.jpg]

packing in for the night, better ideas tomorrow maybe.
A new day, a little bit more from that section.

While multiply/value can be swapped for the black gradient, use value for the highlight bit.

Same advice for getting to know Gimp applies, that section on its own, down to apply some noise might be

[Image: FBukDrm.jpg]

where those top 3 layers are in a layer group in the original. Once happy with that sequence, revisit your tutorial.