Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't Move a Selection
The selection just demarks an area, What you do with that area is up to you, blur / fill / create an outline / apply an effect such as bevel. Much more than a simple cut or copy.

Using a word-processor parallel example, select some text then copy (ctrl-c) and paste (ctrl-v)
Just selecting the text does nothing, you have to provide the action. (ctrl-c / ctrl-v works with Gimp as well)

Quote:...but IF I place the Move tool into "Move Selection" mode, I would expect it to do what Ctrl-Alt-drag does - which is to move the selection - but it does not...

Only in your opinion, It moves the boundary defining the area of the image you want to modify. One way is copy the area, paste it as a new layer then use the move tool to move the area. That is fail-safe.

The gimp docs are worth a read.
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-paint...-selection
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tools-selection.html
(04-04-2022, 02:27 PM)PapaBear1 Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 02:21 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 08:19 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: In some tools you can move the selected pixels right away. For instance in the Free Select, right after you have done the selection you can Ctrl-Alt-drag (Cut) or Shift-Alt-drag (copy) to move the selected pixels.

Interesting, on my distro Ctrl-Alt-drag works for all select tools except the scissors,
The Shift+Alt-drag shows the move pointer, but does not work, instead, Shift+Super+Alt+drag does work well
Thanks for the tips

OK - I tried this with the Free Select tool, and this secret sauce worked!
Thanks!

So, it is truly just my humble opinion as a NOOB, but IF I place the Move tool into "Move Selection" mode, I would expect it to do what Ctrl-Alt-drag does - which is to move the selection - but it does not. It moves the dotted lines, and then there's nothing I can discern to do after that.  The lines are moved - but then what? Hitting return does nothing, and there's no Floating layer to anchor either. I really am curious what this other process is that is being supported by this "Move Selection" tool.

"Selection" is ambiguous, sometimes it is the "selection mask" and sometimes it is "the selected pixels" (the pixels in the current drawable that are covered by the selection mask). But on the whole in the Gimp documentation, "selection" is usually the "selection mask".