Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't Open Image Files
Hello guys,

I'm using Windows 10/32-bit.  I have recently installed GIMP 2.10.12.  I can't open image files (jpg, jpeg, bmp, etc.).

I uninstalled and re-installed this version several times, and I still can't solve the problem.

Any solutions.  I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

P.S.  I've attached error message and open file dialogue.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That is an awfully long path to something saved on the desktop. Can Windows image viewer open the file(s)? Is it just Gimp that fails? Have you tried using Windows Explorer and 'Open with Gimp'?

Just a comment, Why is Gimp brush (animated) selected? Should not make any difference

Looks like it does make a difference. Set it to automatic.

And another comment on Gimp 2.10 and 32 bit Windows. Congratulations on getting Gimp installed.
There are often problems with 32 bit Windows. The last know 'good' version was Gimp 2.10.6 You could try that version.
https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gim...etup-1.exe
(09-25-2019, 10:05 AM)rich2005 Wrote: That is an awfully long path to something saved on the desktop. Can Windows image viewer open the file(s)? Is it just Gimp that fails? Have you tried using Windows Explorer and 'Open with Gimp'?

Just a comment, Why is Gimp brush (animated) selected? Should not make any difference

Looks like it does make a difference. Set it to automatic.

And another comment on Gimp 2.10 and 32 bit Windows. Congratulations on getting Gimp installed.
There are often problems with 32 bit Windows. The last know 'good' version was Gimp 2.10.6 You could try that version.
https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gim...etup-1.exe

Firstly, thanks for responding.

The long path is due to long filenames and sub-folders

Gimp brush was not highlighted purposefully.  I did change it to automatic, as you suggested, but that didn't change the result.

I can open all my image files in windows, and other programs.

I was searching for solutions, and I came across a couple other users with the same problem.  However, responses were not forthcoming with solutions for my problem.

Could it have anything to do with my plugin folder?  If I don't get a solution, I'll have to revert to an llater version.

Thanks again.
I can not try out with 32 bit Gimp 2.10.12 I have a 32 bit Win7 (VM) that only runs Gimp 2.10.6 nothing newer.

I can put up some suggestion in a Win10 (VM) 64 bit Gimp 2.10.12.

1. Gimp is built around plug-ins and the file loaders are no exception. 
Check in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders -> plug-ins for the entry to the Gimp system plugin folder. If that is not there, it is an installation problem.

2. Can Gimp open a file by either drag-n-drop from Windows file manager 

or Right click and open with. 

If those fail, it might prove something / or might not. Wink

External applications? 
Might be an AV issue. I have seen references to Sophos AV. 
I have seen references to third party clipboard managers causing problems.
Thanks again, for your additional effort.

I have tried dragging and dropping png, bmp and jpg.  This doesn't work.  I still get the same error: "Unknown file type".

My plugin folder seems to point to the right locations.  I'll attach a screen grab to show you.

I would really like to solve this one.  I'm hoping it's something minor.  While I can re-install a later version, I want to exhaust my efforts within reason to find a solution.

Thanks again for your help.

Attached Files Image(s)

You are missing the path to the Gimp system plug-ins folder. Therefore Gimp does not load any of the file-xxx plugins. 
Have another look at that earlier screenshot.
Go and find where Gimp is installed and check that you have something like this.

Ways you can go after that:
Try clicking that Reset plug-in Folders button. (see your last screenshot)
or
Add the path  ( C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins ) to the list you already have 
or 
Rename your Gimp profile to C:\Users\Dean\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10-backup Start Gimp let it make a new default profile. See if it makes a difference.

Smile Smile Smile
Thank you very much.  It worked.

I found the folder, and I pointed to it.  I restarted GIMP.

When GIMP was loading, I saw "Querying New Plug-ins" on the splash screen.  Now, everything works just fine.

I appreciate all the time and help you've given me.

Thanks a bunch.

Smile Smile Smile