Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't edit text on image?
I tried to do something with gimp just now, that I've never had any issues with before, and by before I mean earlier tonight.

I'm simply trying to add some text to an image, but for whatever reason it seems to be going haywire.

I open the image, select text tool from side panel, click on the image to type my text. But then I notice the little arrow which lets you change the text from the little tool box that appears above the text box, isn't there. Nor can I change the font from the text option in the main left panel. Also, each time I enter text or try to change the font, it keeps adding a 'text layer' in my history tab on the right hand panel.

I'm using V 2.8.16

Thanks in advance.
Need more information / clarification

Quote:..I open the image, select text tool from side panel, click on the image to type my text. But then I notice the little arrow which lets you change the text from the little tool box that appears above the text box, ...

This is a Gimp 2.8 in a WinXP (your profile says WinXP). What is the little arrow which lets you change the text? I am unsure what you mean.

[Image: ENTv4Db.jpg]

Quote:Also, each time I enter text or try to change the font, it keeps adding a 'text layer' in my history tab on the right hand panel

To me that means the 'text' layer is no longer a text layer. Can you confirm the layer you are trying to edit is text, ie. has a big T symbol in the layer dialogue.

[Image: GSbzUGP.jpg]
Thanks for the reply @rich2005.

I'm now on W7, so I need to change that in my profile.

In your second image, I was sure a little arrow would appear to the right of the font selection box, where it says 'Sans' which would let you select the font from there, but I see it's not there in that image either, so I must be mistaken. Also, the 'Text layers' get added to the history tab (the yellow looped arrow - you have the layers tab selected in the image) every time I tried to select a different font from the tools in the left hand pane, and are simply labelled 'Text Layer'.

Using the left hand pane to change the font has been working tonight, but it wouldn't last night when I posted this. I'm also aware I can double click the font section above the text, to access the other fonts, but this wouldn't work last night either.

Anyway, hope that's clearer, but the problem seems to have fixed itself now.
Quote:.but the problem seems to have fixed itself now...

Maybe, but I have the feeling that you have some mistaken assumptions about using the Text tool

Quote:...In your second image, I was sure a little arrow would appear to the right of the font selection box, where it says 'Sans' which would let you select the font from there

That second image points out; Make sure the 'text' layer is actually a text layer with the T icon in the Layers Dialogue If you lose the text property, clicking on it will start another text layer, as you described in your first post. Never seen that little arrow but..

Quote:..I'm also aware I can double click the font section above the text, to access the other fonts, but this wouldn't work last night either.

That is for changing selected text in the on-screen tool. Select all or part of the text and change colour, size, font etc. No selection, no action.

If you clear the font name and type in a start letter, gives a list to choose from.

[Image: OlkbXiv.jpg]

I did this video on using the text tool back in 2012 when Gimp 2.8 escaped. Still valid.

http://youtu.be/ChcTE9KROmc only 4 minutes there might be something in there of use.