Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't export a gif after making it larger than original size
Hey there. Hoping someone with more GIMP knowledge can help me out.

I'm essentially trying to have an animated gif be at the top of an invite for a party I'm throwing. So the top where the gif is, is animated, and the bottom lower half is stagnant text and party details. Kinda just figured I'd alter the canvas size, and write up something on the bottom half, but when I did that and exported it I get the attached message. I'm sure there's an easy solution out there, since changing the dimensions of an animated gif doesn't seem like an abnormal thing. Maybe just copying all the frames to a larger sized layer from the get go? But I don't know how to do this. Definitely a noobie with GIMP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In recent Gimp, you can easily have layers that extend beyond the canvas. The Crop tool in particular now default to not cutting the excess pixels when you crop (the Delete cropped pixels is off by default). To fix your image:
  • Start the crop tool
  • Check Delete cropped pixels
  • Uncheck Allow growing if set
  • Make the biggest crop possible (should align to the canvas)
  • Apply Crop
You should then be able to export as GIF.
^^ THANKS! That did it, but I will say the only thing wrong with your notes is the "uncheck allow growing." I had to check this box so I could crop past the margins. Thanks a lot!
(05-17-2021, 10:26 PM)tofutiger Wrote: ^^ THANKS! That did it, but I will say the only thing wrong with your notes is the "uncheck allow growing." I had to check this box so I could crop past the margins. Thanks a lot!

If you had to crop past the margins you cropped too much the first time...
Well when I first tried it, I did Image > Canvas Size and just extended it. Which made it so that it wouldn't export it. But that method you wrote out did work to extend the canvas size. So I thank ya.