Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't get Move tool to work in 2.10.34
I click on "m" to bring up the Move tool. But instead of bringing up the "plus" icon with the four arrow points, it brings up four thin lines (3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock) with a space in the middle so they don't connect. It also has a small circle with a slash in it like you would see on a Do Not Enter sign on a freeway. It's to the right of the empty plus sign. Under that is a small dotted square.

I'm trying to make a collage, something I've successfully done in older versions of Gimp 2. I created a new image 2992 by 2992 pixels. I have two images, each 1496 by 2992 pixels. I created a layer that size and did an Open as Layers under the Files menu and selected the first of the two file. The file was placed on the left side of the new image as it should. I then tried a number of different things, none of which worked.

I opened the second file and selected/copied it into the new image, but it put the file in the center of the image, which would be no problem if the Move tool worked correctly.

I then tried creating a new layer, same size as before, but I was unable to see any border around a new layer. Everything was just as before. So, I then opened as layers the second file, and it put it in the center of the new image as before.

I then looked in the Gimp 2 user's manual under the "4.3.3. Summary of Move tool actions" to see if I could find any help there. It did mention that you need to press Ctrl and Alt keys if the object is a layer. So, I tried that, but again, no results.

Somehow, I reset the Tools to default (I don't recall how at the moment) to see if that would help. It didn't. I lastly uninstalled Gimp 2.10.34, re-downloaded it from the Gimp website and reinstalled it. Did all the above—same results.

I don't know if I adequately explained with the Move tool icon looks like, but that's the best I could do. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thank you.

P.S. I was going to add a photo but it wouldn't let me—too large.
You are in "Move selection" mode instead of being in "Move layer".

Re-installing Gimp is not useful because your current settings are kept. See here for some hints about managing your Gimp settings to have them reset to a sensible state if you restart Gimp.
(04-10-2023, 11:17 PM)CrisMO47 Wrote: It did mention that you need to press Ctrl and Alt keys if the object is a layer.

Um... no, Ctrl+Alt is to move a selection, it's well specified. The Ctrl+Alt is to use if the move tool is on layer mode ("IF the Move Mode is "Layer"") > to move a selection.