Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't move/delete layers
Hello,

I'm all of a sudden not able to move or delete layers. I try to drag a layer below another one and it refuses to move there. I try to drag the layer into the trash bin, it won't go. I even tested this on new documents. I create a new document, create a couple of layers, try to drag the top one below the other, try to drag it to the trash bin, and it won't go. Restarting Gimp doesn't help.

Has anyone seen this before?
I had this problem some time ago (maybe 2 years back). It was not a Gimp problem, but a Windows and/or Kaspersky problem. After a few months the problem went away without doing anything to Gimp.

Not that great a problem. Layers can be moved with the arrow keys. Layers can be deleted by selecting the layer and clicking on the trash can icon. The only thing that was difficult was creating layer groups.
(02-23-2018, 05:58 PM)Blighty Wrote: I had this problem some time ago (maybe 2 years back). It was not a Gimp problem, but a Windows and/or Kaspersky problem. After a few months the problem went away without doing anything to Gimp.

Not that great a problem. Layers can be moved with the arrow keys. Layers can be deleted by selecting the layer and clicking on the trash can icon. The only thing that was difficult was creating layer groups.

Probably more like a Gimp/Windows relation problem. Gimp was built for Linux, wasn't it? I find this is often the case... when one software is built for a specific OS, it tends to be finicky when installed on another.

So how does one move layers with the arrow keys? Selecting the layer and hitting the arrow keys simply changes which layer is selected. I tried Ctrl, Alt, Shift, etc. but none of those work (Ctrl+Alt+Arrow flips the orientation of your display just FYI). There's tons of Google hits on how to move a layer with the arrows keys on the canvas but that's not exactly what I mean by "move layers".
(02-23-2018, 10:03 PM)gib65 Wrote:
(02-23-2018, 05:58 PM)Blighty Wrote: I had this problem some time ago (maybe 2 years back). It was not a Gimp problem, but a Windows and/or Kaspersky problem. After a few months the problem went away without doing anything to Gimp.

Probably more like a Gimp/Windows relation problem. Gimp was built for Linux, wasn't it? I find this is often the case... when one software is built for a specific OS, it tends to be finicky when installed on another.

So how does one move layers with the arrow keys? Selecting the layer and hitting the arrow keys simply changes which layer is selected. I tried Ctrl, Alt, Shift, etc. but none of those work (Ctrl+Alt+Arrow flips the orientation of your display just FYI). There's tons of Google hits on how to move a layer with the arrows keys on the canvas but that's not exactly what I mean by "move layers".

See the Layer>Stack>... menu`to move layers in the stack. To move the layers around in the canvas, you can use the cursor keys, but you have to start the Move tool first (note that the cursor keys do a one-pixel move, so it can be slow on big images, using shift-cursor makes it a lot faster.)
The most common culprit for this is Skype, but there are other applications that use full-screen invisible windows that interfere with GIMP, see the bug: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=780979
(01-07-2018, 09:00 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: See the Layer>Stack menu to move layers in the stack. To move the layers around in the canvas, you can use the cursor keys, but you have to start the Move tool first (note that the cursor keys do a one-pixel move, so it can be slow on big images, using shift-cursor makes it a lot faster.)

Thanks Ofnuts. Those seem to work.

Rebooting my computer also worked.