Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we use a photo we take as fill pattern?
I understand how to use one of those given fill patterns to fill an area. How about if I take a photo and want to use that image as fill pattern? Can I do it? How?
Check Edit ➤ Preferences ➤ Folders ➤ Patterns. Edit your picture and save it as a PNG or a .PAT (with .PAT you can add some meta-data) in that directory.

You can also copy the image (or part of it, scaled or not) to the clipboard, and then use the Clipboard pattern in your Bucket-fill ( this is always the first in the list). This relieves the need to save it to file.

Of course you may want to make it seamlessly tilable first, but this is another question.
(06-17-2021, 08:27 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Check Edit ➤ Preferences ➤ Folders ➤ Patterns. Edit your picture and save it as a PNG or a .PAT (with .PAT you can add some meta-data) in that directory.

You can also copy the image (or part of it, scaled or not) to the clipboard, and then use the Clipboard pattern in your Bucket-fill ( this is always the first in the list). This relieves the need to save it to file.

Of course you may want to make it seamlessly tilable first, but this is another question.

There are two folders in where you described. One starts with users, and other starts with program files. The first one is empty when I look at it. Do I save my image there? Or the second folder? I dont want to mess it up

And the second option you described , I cannot make it work. I copied the image entirely from files list under its own folder, or I opened the image and hit copy, and in both cases when I come to gimp and even refresh patterns, I do not see that image as a pattern
Is this a Windows installation ? Which version of Gimp (you find that in Gimp menu Help -> About) ?

Patterns are best in your user profile typically C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\patterns

This is a hidden folder, if you can not find it see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...windows-10 Your file something.png or something.jpg goes there. You can also open the image and Export As something.pat There is a small advantage there in that you can assign a name to it png/jpg will use the file name. Can get lost in all the other patterns.

The second option, the clipboard. There is a size limit on this, 1024 x 1024 pix. Anything larger is cropped. Easy to check, make a rectangular selection, Edit -> Copy Very first pattern in the pattern dock is the clipboard.
Yes windows
I have GIMP 2.10.24 (revision 3)
Going back to the original question.

Quote:How about if I take a photo and want to use that image as fill pattern? Can I do it? How?

Export you photo as jpeg image.  Copy the 'filename'.jpg file to 

C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\patterns

Then either refresh the pattern dock as below or restart Gimp. The pattern shows with the 'filename'.jpg  name.