Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you help me with this!
Good afternoon all.

God I love GIMP!  Congrats to everyone involved who designed it.  Just love it.  Use it hours a day.  I've used it solidly for about 6 months now.

I've included a pic that highlights what I'm trying to do.  Not mine, but it's a good example.  I'm trying to achieve this effect. ie:  I'm taking a google earth map.  I've drawn around the US so, there's a (aqua) line around the borders of the US.  I'd like to take everything else (but US - which i'd keep as is) and change it to a slightly faded mono color.  So ideally as I'm trying to present the picture of the US, it (and it alone) POPS out.

I'm having trouble pasting my selection. (as I say I've got an aqua border around the border of the US). So I can use fuzzy select (of aqua), or select by color (aqua), and create a PATH of the US no problem. 

I want to copy and paste (just the US) as another layer by itself (so it can stay it's color, i can manipulate the color of everything else but the US).  That's my approach to creating it.

When I select the path I've created (of just the US), it'll only copy the outlilne - NOT the contents within.  I essentially want to pick JUST the US out of this picture (via the aqua border i've created, and the path).

As I've said I've tried creating a mask with the  path, select by color, fuzzy select, whenever i copy/paste it just copies the aqua border outline I've created, not the contents within.

So frustrated.  I know i should be able to do it.  Just can't figure it out.

If you could suggest a way, please let me know.  Thanks in advance.

SUMMARY: Extract just this pic of the US out this picture, paste as a new layer. (again i have a pre drawn aqua line border around the US)  You'd think it'd be easy.

[Image: tutorial--style-single-country-step-fina...813b2.webp]
Drawing a line doesn't help much, drawing a Path would have helped a lot.

In the image you give, you notice that everything outside the US is grayscale, in other words, desaturated. It happens that the Fuzzy selector and the Color selector can use the "HSV Saturation" as a selection criteria, so using Fuzzy select with "HSV saturation" and the default threshold and clicking in the white selects all the non-US bits (the only misses are Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard), so you just need to invert the selection to have a selection with the US.
(03-18-2022, 09:26 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Drawing a line doesn't help much, drawing a Path would have helped a lot.

In the image you give, you notice that everything outside the US is grayscale, in other words, desaturated. It happens that the Fuzzy selector and the Color selector can use the "HSV Saturation" as a selection criteria, so using Fuzzy select with "HSV saturation" and the default threshold and clicking in the white selects all the non-US bits (the only misses are Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard), so you just need to invert the selection to have a selection with the US.

Yes, that's what i've noticed, when i try to create a path via that line around the country, via fuzzy select, color selector, or a mask,... if i look at the borders of the selection, it's just higlilghting the actual line (not the contents within).  So, no wonder it doesn't copy what's within the borders.   The actual picture looks more like this (google earth map) with a line around the US.  The pic in my first post is the END result of what i want (separating the 2 elements so i can manipulate each)

I already have those pics ready to go (every country just about with a line around the country border), so thought it would be easy to create a path (step 1) cuz of that line.

[Image: 121514-google-earth-100535874-primary.id...lity=85,70]

But, I suppose you're right and will have to redo them all, this time with a selection tool to draw the map.  That'll take some doing cuz you have to zoom in to get an accurate trace.  That's a LOT of points to create.  Big Grin

Thanks for the help.

By the way, GIMP is so cool.  I not only could isolate that aqua border i created, but change the color of it (colors/map/color exchange), i can also increase the border size to make the line thicker.

Just incredible.  (if you saw the piece of crap graphic utility i was using before), GIMP is a miracle by comparison.  Smile
(03-18-2022, 08:54 PM)Edward99 Wrote: I'm having trouble pasting my selection. (as I say I've got an aqua border around the border of the US). So I can use fuzzy select (of aqua), or select by color (aqua), and create a PATH of the US no problem. 

When I select the path I've created (of just the US), it'll only copy the outlilne - NOT the contents within.  I essentially want to pick JUST the US out of this picture (via the aqua border i've created, and the path).

Dont select the 'pre drawn aqua line border' then try to copy and paste. You said you had a path of it - turn your path into a selection then copy and paste as a layer - then you will have just the Usa and North America as two different layers You can alpha to select your layer of just the usa and stroke it then with blue and while the background layer is selected you can then manipulate the colours of it.

Smile