Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot choose paper size when printing
Using GIMP 2.10.2 on Windows.

I've edited an image and set the "Print Size" to 5x7 with the intention of printing on 5x7 paper.  I select "File>Print" and then choose "Preferences" which invokes the setup options for my printer, which is Canon Pixma Pro-100, driver.  Using these setup options I choose 5x7 for the paper size.  Then when the driver is invoked (i.e., "Print" is selected), where I've asked for a preview during the setup, the paper size is now specified 8.5x11 and the preview shows the 5x7 picture to be printed in the upper left corner of the page.

I think this is a pretty straightforward, commonly used, interface that I'm using correctly.  If not what did I miss?  If so, what about fixing GIMP.
"Print size" is the print size of the image, not the paper size, which is something that is obtained through the print driver.
(06-22-2018, 08:09 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: "Print size" is the print size of the image, not the paper size, which is something that is obtained through the print driver.

Yes I know that.  Must be that my explanation was not too clear.

When editing I set Image>Print Size to 5x7.  Then selected File>Print.  From there I selected Preferences which allowed me to set the paper size to 5x7 but the when I selected Print the paper size was 8.5x11.   In that, when using GIMP I cannot get paper size set to 5x7 but this is no problem with any of the other software that I also use for printing on the same printer.
(06-23-2018, 02:04 AM)ajax Wrote: In that, when using GIMP I cannot get paper size set to 5x7

This is my printer driver, set from within Gimp.

(But I seldom print from Gimp, so I am no expert on the subject)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-23-2018, 08:09 AM)Blighty Wrote:
(06-23-2018, 02:04 AM)ajax Wrote: In that, when using GIMP I cannot get paper size set to 5x7

This is my printer driver, set from within Gimp.

(But I seldom print from Gimp, so I am no expert on the subject)
Here's what my counterparts look like.

First is what gets set by selecting Preferences ->

Then when I select Print I get this ->

Because of the above I never print from GIMP but thought GIMP intended it to be possible.
Thought it might be worth seeing if this problem was specific to my Canon Photo Printer.  Therefore, I decided to try and print the same picture on my HP Officejet.  The first image is when selecting preferences which shows the paper size set to 5x7.

Unlike my photo printer this one doesn't offer a preview but after loading 5x7 photo paper into the printer and then selecting print I receive the following message:

Conclusion is that GIMP has a problem with at least some paper sizes and the problem is not specific to a particular printer.  I'm guessing that GIMP's File>Print option may work for 8.5X11 paper.  When I next desire to print something on 8.5x11 I'll try to remember to try printing with GIMP.  It's hard to tell when that might be.

In the meantime, it must be concluded that there is at least one significant defect in GIMP's support for printing.
From what I have read, the Gimp developers are well aware of the short comings of printing from Gimp in M$ Windows. Being a small core of volunteers they rely on some volunteer with the necessary knowledge of the Windows printing system to improve matters. Nobody to do this for some time.

For Windows users, best advice is use some other application.
Fair enough!  Interestingly it is the need for support for things like my printer that motivate sticking with Windows.  If I tried switching to Linux all of the vendor supplied software for my printer would become unusable.  And yes I am able to print the subject photo using that software.  So this is fine.
(06-29-2018, 06:48 PM)ajax Wrote: Fair enough!  Interestingly it is the need for support for things like my printer that motivate sticking with Windows.  If I tried switching to Linux all of the vendor supplied software for my printer would become unusable.  And yes I am able to print the subject photo using that software.  So this is fine.

Yes, not much hope with a Canon printer. I had one and swore never again. Only kept it because it printed DVD and had to do that via a Windows VM. Canon renowned for not supporting linux.

HP and Epson should not be bad though. Not the greatest printers but work and come with decent linux drivers are Brother printers.

This using the gutenprint gimp plugin. 

[Image: GkCBiGH.jpg]

However, always best to do your research around the linux forums before buying any printer Smile
I finally found out what's happening with Printing in Gimp. I use 2.8 so i don't know if the same goes for any newer Version.

Its all about the gpd - files! Basically Gimp only supports the standard options for paper size 

So if any Vendor has written specific sizes into the driver (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...aper-sizes) or you try to use custom sizes (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...aper-sizes) Gimp will allways revert to the last standard size that was used.

So what is the solution?

Obviously you can only ever use standard paper sizes. But what if your printer vendor didn't provide the standard size you would like to use?

The trick is that "page setup" will let you choose the paper size according to the standard printer. 

Just go to "Print" and right click any printer and set it as standard printer. Maybe you will find one that lets you choose your needed size. When you double check and it sticks you're fine. 

The Trick works because the selection will even stick if you print with another printer or even if you change the standard printer. 

If you change the standard printer and open "page setup" you will maybe see another paper size, but as long as you dont click on "OK" your old selection should stick. 

I always double check if everthing is fine by looking into the "image settings" in the "Print" Dialog before hitting print. If the Resolution is as i intended it to be everthings fine, if not i know something is up!

If you dont find any printer with the right standard size, you need to edit the gpd file. 

I used the "Microsoft Print to PDF" Printer as found in the tutorial "microsoft-print-to-pdf-custom-paper-sizes-possible" (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...0af24a7b37). 

Find the standard paper sizes you would like to use (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...rd-options) and add them to the gpd. 

It seems that Gimp don't care what size you define in the gpd file, it will always use the standard size defined my microsoft.

tldr:

Gimp only can use microsoft standard paper sizes - set standard printer to choose from paper sizes - if you dont find one that works for you - add standard format to gdp file of microsoft print to pdf

EDIT:
It seems gpd and ppd don't mix. If you use a postscript printer (like my epson photo 1400) you will have to find the ppd-file and tinker with the page sizes there. Key seems to be to only use microsoft standard page size options. Further investigation needed...