Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10.36 to Gimp 2.10.34
Can I revert back to 2.10.34 from 2.10.36?  I have the 2.10.34 exe set up file.  Can I just reinstall 2.10.34?

The reason is I am getting a Gimp crash when I make a rectangular selection one pixel wide and a bunch long.  Then I copy then paste then to new layer.  It crashes when I select to new layer.

Windows 10
@zeuspaul Dear me, I am losing the plot. Edited your post then had to put it back Wink

Yes, When you run the Gimp installer It uninstalls the existing version then continues with the installer version.

There are times when it is better to uninstall the existing installation using Windows Uninstall menu, then check that all of C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 is gone. Then proceed with the Gimp installer.
zeuspaul: Hi! Before you revert to 2.10.34, could you record a video of the steps you took to make GIMP crash? I'm trying to fix the problem but I'm not able to replicate it myself (I did the steps you wrote but it ran fine for me). It'd be really appreciated!
It may have nothing to do with Gimp. I had a crash about a week ago while in Lightroom. And then again with Gimp while exporting a file. I thought it may have been something with Gimp so I tried the upgrade. This is something I do frequently in Gimp and I thought I may have had something happen with Gimp. I tried scanning my drives and ran some error checks in the OS and everything seemed OK.

Maybe it's a hardware issue??

I don't know how to make a video but I could learn. But I doubt it is Gimp because CmykStudent can't repeat the issue. Everything was going fine with 2.10.36. I did several copy and pastes to new layer without a problem. But it crashed when I did the same procedure with rectangular select with a one pixel wide selection. I tried the same procedure three times and it crashed three times when I got to new layer so I thought it was something with Gimp. Now I am guessing maybe not.

I'll do the uninstall by reinstalling a clone of my OS pre 2.10.36 and proceed from there.

I tried several sizes that worked.  One pixel wide by up to ten all worked.  When I tried about twenty long it failed.  Sometimes it fails when I paste and sometimes when I to new layer.

(11-26-2023, 10:29 AM)zeuspaul Wrote: Can I revert back to 2.10.34 from 2.10.36?  I have the 2.10.34 exe set up file.  Can I just reinstall 2.10.34?

The reason is I am getting a Gimp crash when I make a rectangular selection one pixel wide and a bunch long.  Then I copy then paste then to new layer.  It crashes when I select to new layer.

Windows 10

My windows 10 crashed (not responding) 3 times with fuzzy tool 5 minutes after upgrading to 2.10.36.  Restarted each time and repeated this crash with rect. tool, color select.  I too will reinstall if I can get the previous. 
(12-01-2023, 12:12 AM)Richie1027 Wrote:  I too will reinstall if I can get the previous. [/i]

It's overthere Big Grin https://download.gimp.org/gimp/v2.10/windows/
Patrice
Does Gimp access my data drive while in use other than when calling up files and saving files? The reason I ask is my data drive recently failed. I replaced the failed data drive with a clone. (also I have recently replaced the OS drive (C drive) with a clone to revert back to 2.10.34.)

Now with the new data drive I experience less strange behavior. No more pauses when accessing and copying files in File Explorer. If Gimp accesses the data drive perhaps my issue with upgrading to 2.10.36 was related to the failing drive??
(12-09-2023, 06:33 PM)zeuspaul Wrote: Does Gimp access my data drive while in use other than when calling up files and saving files?  The reason I ask is my data drive recently failed.  I replaced the failed data drive with a clone. (also I have recently replaced the OS drive (C drive) with a clone  to revert back to 2.10.34.)

Now with the new data drive I experience less strange behavior.  No more pauses when accessing and copying files in File Explorer.  If Gimp accesses the data drive perhaps my issue with upgrading to 2.10.36 was related to the failing drive??

If your tile cache is set too small, Gimp uses the disk as a swapping device. This can represent a significant I/O load (and make the drive wear out faster).
I have 16 GB of RAM and the recommendation is half.  My cache is 8 GB which is the recommendation.   I don't see a way to select the drive which Gimps uses to swap, is there a way?  One might assume the default is the OS drive??

Many times when I am using the color curve tool Gimp seems to call up all of my external drives.  I know because they pop up on the screen when I make an adjustment,  likely because there may not be immediate access to the drives?

I'll try bumping the cache to 3/4 of the RAM which is another recommendation and see if I notice any difference.

You can set the directory for the cache in the "root" of Preferences > Folders.

Personally I don't compute the tile cache as a ratio of RAM but as a ratio of "free RAM under normal circumstances": OS loaded, background apps running, browser open on usual sites, etc... And then I use a ration of "1" (ie, take all RAM noone else is using).

You can have a few clues about Gimp's use of resources with Windows > Dockable dialog > Dashboard.