Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.8 Printing black where image is empty
For some reason, even tho' the fore and back grid colors are set to white, GIMP 2.8 insists on printing the empty areas of the canvas in black.
What's on the screen:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nAZ5g6...0oDoOXBf_c

What prints out:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10RJGNX...OCuCwu8wyH

That's an incredible waste of ink and it saturates paper.

What's going on and how does one fix this "feature".
Not a feature.  Both your images are jpegs which do not give much information. Was the original a png or maybe a tga file with transparency? Does it show in Gimp with that checker background?

Best guess. The transparency is a mask and the color value for the mask is saved in the file using the background (BG) color. Usually this is white but can be black if that is the BG colour.

Some applications correctly use this value, but others just see it as another colour. This example using two different viewers.
Bottom is correct, top shows the alpha mask.

My advice for printing. Make sure the image is showing a white background. Export as a jpeg (which does not support transparency) Use the jpeg for printing. Remember there is no white ink in your printer, that is the paper colour.
(03-06-2019, 08:33 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Not a feature.  Both your images are jpegs which do not give much information. Was the original a png or maybe a tga file with transparency? Does it show in Gimp with that checker background?

Best guess. The transparency is a mask and the color value for the mask is saved in the file using the background (BG) color. Usually this is white but can be black if that is the BG colour.

Some applications correctly use this value, but others just see it as another colour. This example using two different viewers.
Bottom is correct, top shows the alpha mask.

My advice for printing. Make sure the image is showing a white background. Export as a jpeg (which does not support transparency) Use the jpeg for printing. Remember there is no white ink in your printer, that is the paper colour.

JPGs. I set foreground AND background to white.  I used bucket fill to get rid of the checkerboard patter which I find very annoying.
(03-07-2019, 01:01 AM)RealGomer Wrote: JPGs. I set foreground AND background to white.  I used bucket fill to get rid of the checkerboard patter which I find very annoying.

jpeg format does not support transparency. If you open a file in Gimp and it has transparency, it is not a jpeg.

Your new opened file in Gimp has transparency but it annoys you? Use 'Layer -> Transparency -> Remove Alpha Channel'

Export your file as a jpeg. Make sure you add the .jpg extension to the filename. Open it up again. Does it have transparency? If it has, then it is not a jpeg.