Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cast in Stone
What methodology do you suggest to take a standard photograph (portrait), and make it look like it belongs as a part of Mount Rushmore?

[Image: dVGlGpS.jpg]

[attachment=9150] like this?

Remove the background -  I used the magic wand to select the background - delete.
Go to colors - desaturate and click on color to gray. Default settings.
Then Filters - map - bumpmap. Make sure compensate is selected. Default settings
Oh and if you want the background to remain transparent make it a png after not a jpg like I did.

Smile
Looking at alternative ways, other than the usual bumpmap....

I would definitely remove the background and keep an active selection around the subject.

Looking for something that smooths / quantifies have a look at the gmic plugin Comicbook. It is a complicated filter but default with Line thickness increased a little. Worth experimenting with.

Into a background and instead of the usual desaturate, try the Hue-Chroma filter. Dropping Chroma right down gives a desaturation and up lightness value as required.

Then it becomes an artistic problem, how to get it sculpted into the background ?  Maybe a bit of fade out. Up to you.

Of course, you do need the original lighting / shadow directions to match, you could paint in say under the eyes for example Wink
Thanks Rich and Sallyanne. Normally I'm reluctant to just ask for technique, because it makes me feel like a begger. Afterall this is a Gimp Support forum, not a rickk support forum....so your willingness to accommodate my personal deficiencies is sincerely appreciated!