Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change gray color to a metallic gray
Hi there! 
This is my first post. I just begun recently to use Gimp and I'm trying to scan some of my Atari games boxes to make portraits for my game room.

The game I'm currently working on is one of the so-called "silver box" games, the gray color of the box has a metallic hue. I paste two photos (not mine, they are taken from AtariAge)

[Image: b_CrazyClimber_Silver_front_zpstarofmye.jpg]

[Image: b_CrazyClimber_Silver_back_zpsjraodhhk.jpg]

So, when I scanned my game, the gray was completely horrible and I erased it. I captured the color with a color capture tool from the photo I just posted and the result is:

[Image: Raiders-s_zpstwdobeby.jpg]

So I tried to convert the gray to "metallic gray" I captures a pattern from the first photo and used the bucket to fill the second: horrible and tiled. Then I experimented with "light and illumination" but have not achieved any significant result.

I've watched some tutorials, but they mostlyt aim to make metallick effects with degradation, I don't think that will suit this design.

If anybody could hint me how to proceed, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!
(07-01-2017, 10:05 AM)cubelindo Wrote: So I tried to convert the gray to "metallic gray"

There are many metallic effects (eg google brushed aluminium). But here is a simple one that may suit your needs.

1) Select the gray with Fuzzy Select tool, threshold 40. Use the Mode "Add to current selection" to get the different parts.

2) Use Filters > Noise > RGB Noise with a setting of 0.20 (Or 0.10 if effect is too strong)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well, played around without much success. There is no such thing as a metallic colour, the effect is usually bump mapping followed by pulling the color curve around.

To make it a little less boring, maybe this http://i.imgur.com/zyuQJq0.jpg

and that comes from

Duplicate gray background
Fill with HSV noise - all values maximum
Apply motion blur, zero angle, length about 50 ( I usually flip the layer horizontally and apply again to even things up)
Bump map that on itself, with small depth value
Pull color curve into zig-zag
Add to the original background in overlay mode

FWIW (not much) the Gimp xcfgz with layers 2.2 MB
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=...q0L8eOnhzy
Thanks, I will try both approaches.

It is not easy, the metallic colour is the "material" of the box, it is not printed. The rest of the graphic is printed over this silver box colour.

I have experimented a bit with Blighty's noise filter, using an HSV noise filter afterwards. I have to try some light effect on top of that.

rich2005's approach, I have to analyze a bit. I'm afraid I don't know hot to make some of the listed spteps.