Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Colors for heightmap
Can anyone help me find a tool in gimp that changes mountains to brighter colors and sand to darker so it's suitable for a heightmap file? I can't seem to find the tool that works for this.thanks Smile

[Image: ZjSicZ5.jpg]
(07-03-2023, 08:11 PM)fluffypanda Wrote: Can anyone help me find a tool in gimp that changes mountains to brighter colors and sand to darker so it's suitable for a heightmap file? I can't seem to find the tool that works for this.thanks Smile

[Image: ZjSicZ5.jpg]

Possibly far from being the best option...
But with:
G'MIC - Depth Map Construction / Dark Motive (Default)

This can be achieved:    
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(07-03-2023, 08:11 PM)fluffypanda Wrote: changes mountains to brighter colors and sand to darker

Maybe you're searching for something like below?

GIMP top menu go to:
Colors > Invert

Then for the map
Filters > Generic > Distance Map...,
Adjust to your liking, there are many options. (Try Edge handling > Above threshold for the sea to not look like mountains as it's at the edge)

Perhaps a bit of Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur... after creating the map to smooth things out depending your needs.
Thumbs Up 
(07-04-2023, 03:59 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(07-03-2023, 08:11 PM)fluffypanda Wrote: changes mountains to brighter colors and sand to darker

Maybe you're searching for something like below?

GIMP top menu go to:
Colors > Invert

Then for the map
Filters > Generic > Distance Map...,
Adjust to your liking, there are many options. (Try Edge handling > Above threshold for the sea to not look like mountains as it's at the edge)

Perhaps a bit of Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur... after creating the map to smooth things out depending your needs.

long as I can get the mountains brighter than the ground level it should work perfect.  thanks
Colours brighter or darker, mybe this can help you (an earlier post from Ofnuts) :
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Editing-photos
(07-04-2023, 05:54 AM)fluffypanda Wrote: long as I can get the mountains brighter than the ground level it should work perfect.  thanks

Well, mountains clearer than the plain is exactly what you get using the filter I mentioned in my previous post.

In the previous image I inverted the colors.

But if the filter is applied without changes, this is what you get:

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.