Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
centering text within a selection
Hello,

I'm wondering how I can center something within a selection. So I've got this:

[Image: center%20prepare%20wireframe%20within%20box.png]

I'd like to center the text "prepare wireframes" within the yellow box. So with the fuzzy select tool, I select the yellow area inside the box. Then I switch to the "prepare wireframes" text layer. You can see the layer border in the image above (which also happens to crop the selection). Then I select the alignment tool. Then I click on center horizontally. But nothing happens.

How can I center the text inside a selection?
Tried all sorts but can not get your image at shahspace.com/prosperus/

Can you post it on some other file sharing site such as imgur.com
Follow these steps:
1) choose the Alignment tool
2) click on your text layer. You should see 4 small white squares in the corners of the text layer
3) in the tool options, in the "Relative to" list, choose Selection
4) click on the button Align center of target and/or Align middle of target
OP has similar previous post here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-center...-selection

I would still like to see an example image in case there is something not normal.
To attach screenshots so that we can understand your problem, see here.
Thanks everyone,

Sorry about the screen shot. My IP address recently changed without my knowing so now I have to update the A record.

tmanni's 4 steps worked. I learned something in the process: if the text layer is part of a layer group with other text layers, it will attempt to center the whole group. I had to move the text layer out of the group in order for it to work.

Anyone know a way to get around this?
(07-25-2019, 01:29 AM)gib65 Wrote: I learned something in the process: if the text layer is part of a layer group with other text layers, it will attempt to center the whole group. I had to move the text layer out of the group in order for it to work.

This is true even for non-text layers. Behavior is the same in 2.8.

Known problem: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/983
(07-25-2019, 06:49 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(07-25-2019, 01:29 AM)gib65 Wrote: I learned something in the process: if the text layer is part of a layer group with other text layers, it will attempt to center the whole group. I had to move the text layer out of the group in order for it to work.

This is true even for non-text layers. Behavior is the same in 2.8.

Known problem: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/983
Coincidentally, I had this same problem today, and I also needed to remove the layer from the group in order to align it.
So in the other nine layers, I needed to do the same editing, I aligned before including the layer in the group.
I was just about to see if anyone around here could know anything that would solve this obstacle, but ... c'est la vie.