Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing contrast of a text layer works as preview, but not after confirming
(09-02-2021, 12:49 PM)X3nion Wrote: Hey PixLab and Thanks for your explanations!

The hint works very fine, however, 1px is still too bold. Is there another possibility to let it grow only a little bit?
And the second thing is, that the "blur" effect of the font gets lost. Is there any way to make it only a little bit more bold keeping the structure?

The way it works in the preview window on my other notebook would be great because of the fine adjustment facility.

I added a picture so that you can see what I mean.

Kind regards,
X3nion

I was unable to watch the video made available due to the cookie requirements of the hosting site.
But...

One option to try would be the Morphological filter in G'MIC.

01- Select Contours - Morphological Filter;
02- In Action - Dilation;
03- Adjust in Size.

Ohh I forgot... ➤ turn on Process Transparency <<

[Image: CWr89wR.jpg]
(09-02-2021, 12:05 PM)X3nion Wrote: But generally my question is: How can I then make the text more bold? The text font unfortunately doesn't allow a bond type, and I'd like the letters to be a little more bond.

If you want a font to be "thicker" a solution is to draw a moderately thick line along the outline of the text:

1. obtain a path from the text layer (Layer ➤ Path from text)
2. Edit ➤ Stroke path the path in Line mode with a thickness 2x what you want (because one half of it will be stroked over the existing characters) using the same color. Use the Miter join style if you want pointy angles, but keep the miter limit low (<5).

Before doing so you may want to increase the spacing between letters to leave space for the added outline.

As a general rule, our eyes are very sensitive to the edges of text, and we like them to be sharp, while most tools in Gimp will blur them somewhat, so text is best created directly in its final form.
Hey and Thanks for all your replies!

I will try your options as well. Finally, it worked out pretty well following the idea of PixLab, however with higher resolution, keeping the original picture size though. So one pixel is not that much anymore and hence I'm able to "dose" the resulting thickness.

Kind regards,
X3nion
(09-02-2021, 09:23 PM)X3nion Wrote: Hey and Thanks for all your replies!

I will try your options as well. Finally, it worked out pretty well following the idea of PixLab, however with higher resolution, keeping the original picture size though. So one pixel is not that much anymore and hence I'm able to "dose" the resulting thickness.

Kind regards,
X3nion

A problem with the "grow selection" technique is that it rounds off all the pointy bits.