Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing opacity with gimp, and inserting text.
Sad 
Good Morning, 

I REALLY need someones help. 

I am trying to use GIMP to change the opacity of a image down to very low. But have text within the image, which contains the original opacity.

I have attached an image of a website who've done exactly what i'm attempted to do. As you can see in the example, the text is bright and vivid, using the images original colours. However the rest of the image is creates the more opaque background. 

Any ideas on HOW THE HELL to do this??? haha!

Many thanks

M    
One way to do it:

You can change the composite mode of a layer in the layer properties dialog (double click on the layer to open it).
If you want a result image for a web site, simply remove the "background color" layer and export the image as png to keep the transparency.
And another spin on the subject. All sorts of things you can do with Gimp Wink

1. Desaturated background with reduced opacity to suit.
2. A text layer that has been promoted to full image size.
3. The colouring for the text, might have been the original coloured background or a gradient or hand painted, up to the user. This has a Layer mask white on black taken from the text layer.
4. (2) and (3) are in a layer group and the layer group has a layer mask to provide varying opacity to the text. White layer mask with black-to-transparency gradient applied.
(04-23-2020, 10:51 AM)rich2005 Wrote: And another spin on the subject. All sorts of things you can do with Gimp Wink

1. Desaturated background with reduced opacity to suit.
2. A text layer that has been promoted to full image size.
3. The colouring for the text, might have been the original coloured background or a gradient or hand painted, up to the user. This has a Layer mask white on black taken from the text layer.
4. (2) and (3) are in a layer group and the layer group has a layer mask to provide varying opacity to the text. White layer mask with black-to-transparency gradient applied.

Thank you VERY MUCH!!

I hugely appreciate that. 

Have a great day 

M
(04-23-2020, 10:51 AM)rich2005 Wrote: And another spin on the subject. All sorts of things you can do with Gimp Wink
01 - Original, color to gray, with text mask - Overlay
02 - Text - Linear Burn
03 - Copy - same layer above
04 - Original - Color To Gray - Brightness / Contrast - Levels - Multiply
05 - Original
[Image: n4xjE7V.jpg]