Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing the colour of an outline on a B & W image
Hi, 

I have a B & W image that is a black outline on a white background. It is an imported PDF.  I would like to change the outline colour to something other than black. When I select the outline using the fuzzy selection tool then change the colour the outline colour changes but the quality of the image becomes fuzzy/milky. It looses it's sharpness. 

How can I change the outline colour whilst keeping the sharpness of the image?

Thank you Smile
Just a reminder about PDF's The default resolution for importing is 100 ppi which might give a small image size / poor quality. Increasing the resolution now, is better than scaling the image later on.

[Image: YklFb4F.jpg]

Black line line drawing on a white background. Many ways to change colour. This works with black/white

Add a new layer, Layer -> New Layer Fill with required colour. Put the layer mode to Screen.

[Image: 0Ii6IFK.jpg]
(03-31-2019, 01:15 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Just a reminder about PDF's The default resolution for importing is 100 ppi which might give a small image size / poor quality. Increasing the resolution now, is better than scaling the image later on.

[Image: YklFb4F.jpg]

Black line line drawing on a white background. Many ways to change colour. This works with black/white

Add a new layer, Layer -> New Layer Fill with required colour. Put the layer mode to Screen.

[Image: 0Ii6IFK.jpg]

Thanks for this. 

I import the image at a high res. I've followed your instructions but the image still appears milky/fuzzy and the colour isn't sharp. Any ideas? I can't paste a screen shot into the reply to show you, for some reason :/
(03-31-2019, 04:44 PM)adam_b2019 Wrote: I import the image at a high res. I've followed your instructions but the image still appears milky/fuzzy and the colour isn't sharp. Any ideas? I can't paste a screen shot into the reply to show you, for some reason :/

All depends on the original, from what you write it seems to be low quality in the first place. To give a proper answer I would need that original PDF. Is it a simple image like that apple, clean lines because the shape is a vector or is it maybe something like a pencil sketch that has been scanned.
Faked something up. You might be able to adjust before re-colouring

(03-31-2019, 05:44 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(03-31-2019, 04:44 PM)adam_b2019 Wrote: I import the image at a high res. I've followed your instructions but the image still appears milky/fuzzy and the colour isn't sharp. Any ideas? I can't paste a screen shot into the reply to show you, for some reason :/

All depends on the original, from what you write it seems to be low quality in the first place. To give a proper answer I would need that original PDF. Is it a simple image like that apple, clean lines because the shape is a vector or is it maybe something like a pencil sketch that has been scanned.

The pdf original is high quality - the images have been printed on to greeting cards. The images are hand drawn with a pen and have then been scanned. I can colour fill the white areas of the image and it still looks clean and crisp. When changing the black to a different colour things become milky/fuzzy. I'll send you a PM! I really appreciate the help.