Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing the default setting for 'Opacity' in the 'New Layer' Dialogue (Gimp 2.10.8)
Today when I use the Layer | New Layer menu option the layer opacity defaults to 0.0

Previously it has always defaulted to 100.0 - I have no idea what triggered this change.

I have tried changing it to 100.0 and quitting Gimp - but when I reload and try again the default is back to 0.0

A change to 100.0 for the creation of a new layer does not even persist for a session, each and every time
Layer | New Layer is used the opacity reverts back to 0.0

I have RTFM'd and Searched, I can find no help on this.

Can someone please tell me how to reset the default opacity setting for the new layer dialogue?

Platform - Windows 10
Gimp     - 2.10.8
(06-13-2020, 12:19 PM)Gerard Wrote: I have tried changing it to 100.0 and quitting Gimp - but when I reload and try again the default is back to 0.0

Try setting the opacity to 100 then in Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options Click on Save tool options now and in Input Devices click on Save Input devices now OK the the preferences dialog and restart Gimp. See if it makes any difference.

Some screenshots from another similar post https://i.imgur.com/hNZOQ0O.jpg

Other than that you might have to reset to default values
(06-13-2020, 12:19 PM)Gerard Wrote: Today when I use the Layer | New Layer menu option the layer opacity defaults to 0.0

Previously it has always defaulted to 100.0 - I have no idea what triggered this change.

I have tried changing it to 100.0 and quitting Gimp - but when I reload and try again the default is back to 0.0

A change to 100.0 for the creation of a new layer does not even persist for a session, each and every time
Layer | New Layer is used the opacity reverts back to 0.0

I have RTFM'd and Searched, I can find no help on this.

Can someone please tell me how to reset the default opacity setting for the new layer dialogue?

Platform - Windows 10
Gimp     - 2.10.8

Everything in the "New layer" dialog is remember from the previous use, even across Gimp sessions. If all else fails:

1. Exit Gimp
  2. Locate your Gimp profile
  3. Get there in your file explrorer
  4. Open the gimprc file with a text editor
  5. Locate the line that says (layer-new-opacity 0.xxxxx)
  6. Replace it with (layer-new-opacity 1.)
  7. Close the file
  8. Restart Gimp
This could also pinpoint that the gimprc file is read-only, which could be an explanation of your problem.
After making this post and continuing to use Gimp (and changing the opacity in the dialogue from 0.0 to 100.0 each time I used Layer | New Layer and it continuing to revert back to 0.0 after each time) after about four or five uses of Layer | New Layer the opacity setting then 'stuck' at 100.0 and has remained there ever since - for many uses of Layer | New Layer - (?!?)

So a 'CCBFM' (Came Clear By F*ing Magic)  event Rolleyes

Anyway, many thanks to rich2005 and to Ofnuts for your suggestions - I have made a note of them so as to have some options to explore if the behaviour recurs.