Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing the text data in a pre-loaded template
Good evening and thanks for reading a newbie question, and it's probably extremely basic and obvious.

I've downloaded Gimp 2.10.32 because I would like to make my own Blu-ray covers for my collection using a fan template of The Criterion Collection sleeves.  Over the last three weeks, I've slowly been learning about layers and changing the direction of text boxes.  I know that Rome wasn't built in a day.  Smile

But I'm stumped in how to change the pre-loaded data within the template.  This template is pre-loaded with some basic, junk numbers for the back cover information:

75 MINUTES
COLOR
MONAURAL
2:35:1 ASPECT RATIO

These figures seem to come from the "name" / "layer attributes."  When I right-click on the layer that contains this information, I get an option that says "Edit layer attributes."  This gives me a pop-up box where I can change the layer name.  The name of this layer is: 

2015 75 MINUTES COLOR MONAURAL 2.35:1 ASPECT RATIO

But whatever changes I make to that name just change the name of the layer, not the text that appears in the image.  How can I make changes to those figures so that the text of the image reads what I'd like it to?

Thanks in advance.
Are the templates meant for Gimp or for Photoshop? AFAIK in Gimp changing the layer name doesn't change the contents. To change the text you use the Text tool (Text) and click on the text layer to edit it. This assumes that the layer is a "text layer" and not a plain raster layer. These layers are displayed with a T icon in the layers list:

If the layer is a plain raster layer you have to recreate it from scratch. Sometimes you can recover the data from its previous life as a text layer (font, text...).
Thank you, Ofnuts.  It seems that these are plain raster layers in a PSD file, which explains why I can't edit the text.  I appreciate the explanation; I will find the correct fonts and rebuild them from scratch as text layers.
(02-28-2023, 10:17 PM)Heratbreaksoup Wrote: Thank you, Ofnuts.  It seems that these are plain raster layers in a PSD file, which explains why I can't edit the text.  I appreciate the explanation; I will find the correct fonts and rebuild them from scratch as text layers.

Well, they are likely real text layers in the PSD file, but the Gimp import converts them to raster.