Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing to a solid color
Good day everyone,

I have an image of a rain coat that I'd like to fill in with solid color.  You can see (link below) that it's a funky little design, but I'd like to fill it all in with a solid color.  Maybe leave the face alone but if that's too hard, then it can be filled in as well.

This is my real first foray into GIMP.  It obviously is very complicated and any start-up advice would be certainly appreciated.  I figure this one would be good to start off on?

Picture of Raincoat
I think that bypassing the shapes with the Paths Tool would give better results.
In this case, I changed the RGB image to indexed.
I applied the Indexed Decompose filter.
The result was pixelated, requiring adjustments.

Attached Files Image(s)

.zip   RainCoatSolid.zip (Size: 330.35 KB / Downloads: 91)
Quote:...This is my real first foray into GIMP.  It obviously is very complicated...

Gimp is a complicated program and on top of that every image has to be considered on its own merits. What works for one image does not work for another.

Not too sure what you mean by solid color. This:

All done with selections.
The background is solid, select using the fuzzy select tool. Then invert that selection Select -> Invert  There various modes change to the Subtract mode to remove the area of the face from the selection. Bucket fill the selection, that has modes as well, use 'Fill whole selection' Turn off the selection Select -> None
example 30 second animation https://i.imgur.com/f6R2UPR.mp4

...or Change the colour. Easily done with this image using Colours ->  Hue-Chroma  adjust the Hue slider for a range of colours.