Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Text exact alignment in a shape
Hi everyone
Not only do I struggle with the more complicated tasks in Gimp but I'm trying to do something ever so simple.

I am trying to put text inside a edited ellipse circle. I have attached a screenshot of my feeble attempt
It seems that the top half of the text is on the large side...I have used the align tool to centre the text but it seems to have failed.
Is there a simple way of doing this.

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The Align tool aligns the layer boundaries, and not the content of the layer. And you are assuming (wrongly Smile) that the text is smack in the middle of the text layer, which is not true. The text layer boundaries correspond to the "box" of the font, and so take in account features that may not be present in your text (diacriticd, descenders,...).

So on the whole if you can assume that the text is horizontally centered in the layer, the vertical "middle" will depend a lot on the text. Several ways:

1. Do it by eye. Even the shape of the letter has an influence on the perceived center of the text, and your eye is a better judge than you think
  2. Use the measure tool to compute the distance the middle of the layer and the middle of the text, and shift you horizontal guide by that value
  3. Layer>Autocrop layer will remove all the extra space around the letters so the layer boundaries are now identical to the text boundaries (well, mor or less, because your C and O have likely some pixels below the baseline, how much of this changes the perception of the center, see #1). Then you can use the Align tool or just move to snap the center of the layer on yoru guides. Warning: this make the later a plain bitmap layer, if you want to retain the text layer, make a copy first.
Using the text tool:

[Image: UnsRrwf.jpg]

1. Set the box to dynamic and it will be tight around the text.

2. Move the text tool around with ctrl-alt click-n-drag. The center of the text is marked with a cross. Drag to the guide lines.
Thanks for the reply.
Takes me ages to work things out when it comes to graphics programs music production is my thing.
What I was wondering why I have got your attention is there any guides or tutorials about designing Tshirts on Gimp.
Also, some tutorial on YouTube says have the pixel setting at 11,000 by 8,5000 and when I tried to fill in an ellipse it took ages.
Is this necessary I normally have the pixels at half of that
This is from a well known on-line printing company. They even supply a template if you want to make a bespoke design. PS .psd of course and CMYK colour space so will not open in Gimp.

[Image: T2XL3nU.jpg]

The requirements are modest, Maximum size 30 cm x 30 cm (12" x 12") and 175 ppi That is sensible, it is printing on a fabric, it is never going to be a high quality photograph. Gimp works in pixels, so that resolves to 2100 x 2100 pix.

The crunch of course is CMYK colour space, Once complete in Gimp RGB colour space, you can change to CMYK, various means. There are on-line converters, Krita can do it and you see any color changes in the process, or command line ImageMagick.

First thing to do is get the actual requirements of the printing company you intend to use. They might have different ppi (aka dpi) requirements, they might accept RGB images, many do these days.
Thank you for the reply.
I am using Printful at the moment so I'm just exporting my design using PNG then just banging them on their mock-up thingy.
Course I'm not at all happy with my designs mainly cause they don't look like they are the right size once they go on the mock-up.
Think practice makes perfect.
Ps what is the online company so I can download the template.
Not recommending anyone but from the blurred text Wink it is

https://www.vistaprint.co.uk/propath/pre...?pf_id=372

No point downloading, all Ad*be formats, no good for Gimp. The template is only a square, nothing you can not do yourself.

edit:
I do not know printful, but a bit of info here
http://www.tomwademd.net/everything-you-...-printful/

including a low-res image of a template. Again nothing you can not make yourself.
Thanks for your help