Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paint Car White
Hi again
I have been trying to help out a friend who wants to paint a car (A "Rod") he is building. Not sure what colour he will end up with, but white is in the mix. I have taken a photo of it and have tried changing the existing scheme to other colours to show him some scenarios using Hue Saturation method. Have searched on the web for how to paint it white but cannot find anything. Can this be done?
Regards
GAZZA
This could depend a lot on the current color. Could you share a significant but not revealing picture extract?
Assuming you have only the car in a the selection(the car is selected), many ways to turn any color into white:

Best IMHO for cars > - Colors/Hue Chroma/ play "lightness" > up+ and "Chroma" < down-

Few others ways:
- Colors/Hue-saturation/zero saturation, lightness full/ need to add Brightness-contrast if it's a bit gray
- Colors/Brightness Contrast/ Full brightness, a bit of contrast
- Colors/Colorize
- Colors/Curves > bring up the dark side like on the screenshot below (you can bring it up a lot more depending your need)
(Curves are quite good like Hue-Chroma)

Example (original photo > https://unsplash.com/photos/gwACoyKkJ1c )

to change a color to another color, try Colors/Map/Rotate Colors... (I love this tool as you don't need to be precise)
Hi Ofnuts
Thanks for the reply. He has made life easy for me. He has decided which way he will go and it won't be white. 
Thanks again, appreciate your reply so soon. 
Regards
Gazza
Many thanks to you as well PixLab. Looks like I have another string in my bow. I have been using GIMP on and off for a number of years, but things that I either don't know or have forgotten keep cropping up. I have spent the last 4 1/2 weeks on GIMP nearly full time as we are in Lockdown in Auckand (NZ) and it has been a blessing to be able to spend so much time sorting it out. 
I tried your suggestions and the one that did the job was Hue-Saturation followed by Brightness and Contrast. It worked perfectly. The Colours / Curves were  not all that successful. I had a fiddle with Colours/ Map / Rotate, and yes, that is also pretty clever. 
Many thanks ago to you guys its appreciated.
Gazza