Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How? Mapped spheres in water
I'd like to create an image of the planets 3/4 submerged in water - like stepping stones.

I've used GIMP a little over the years but I'm not a GIMP expert. Any idea how I would go about creating such a scene? I think I'd like to start with something completely fake - such as fake water with 3 spheres inside the water and then map/blend planet or pebble texture over the top.

Sorry, I know this is a very high-level question - I just don't know where to start.. other than with a Youtube tutorial on creating fake sky reflecting water I guess.
(09-14-2022, 04:43 AM)SparkyNZ Wrote: I'd like to create an image of the planets 3/4 submerged in water - like stepping stones.

I've used GIMP a little over the years but I'm not a GIMP expert. Any idea how I would go about creating such a scene? I think I'd like to start with something completely fake - such as fake water with 3 spheres inside the water and then map/blend planet or pebble texture over the top.

Sorry, I know this is a very high-level question - I just don't know where to start.. other than with a Youtube tutorial on creating fake sky reflecting water I guess.
Why not start with a planet-generating plugin like this one?
This could save you 'mapping to sphere' in Gimp for each planet. Gimp is not 3d software so as you say it will just be an image.

The rest is all perspective IMHO. Make a horizon and add realistic looking water arcs for each planet, maybe with the ellipse select tool.