Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clone Tool Issues
Photo 
Hi,

First-time poster.

I am creating a backdrop for my model layout and have imported the image into GIMP. I am trying to remove certain objects like power poles, lines etc. For some reason when I choose a brush for the tool it does not show up before or during pressing ctrl while holding down my left mouse button. Is there a way to correct this? Normally there would be a dotted circle surrounding the cursor, but it doesn't show it.

Cheers

Aaron
The cursor style is set for all the tools in Edit -> Preferences -> Image Windows then under Mouse Pointers is a toggle for Show Brush Outline

Is this enabled ? When enabled, does the outline show with a paint tool ?
Do you have a dynamics option in force with the clone tool? Dynamics should be set to Dynamics Off

The only way I can get something like your question is when using an empty clipboard brush.
(08-17-2021, 08:05 AM)rich2005 Wrote: The cursor style is set for all the tools in Edit -> Preferences -> Image Windows then under Mouse Pointers is a toggle for Show Brush Outline

Is this enabled ? When enabled, does the outline show with a paint tool ?
Do you have a dynamics option in force with the clone tool? Dynamics should be set to Dynamics Off

The only way I can get something like your question is when using an empty clipboard brush.

Thank you for your reply. Dynamics is turned off and the brush outline is enabled but does not show with a paint tool. The brush outline does not show up and I can not get the clone tool to work. Even holding down the ctrl button as well as the left button on the mouse.
So this is weird,

I tried the clone tool on another image and it worked (jpg) but when I tried it again on my background image (jpg or png) it doesnt work. I did notice that with the other image it mentioned about converting it to RGB but with the larger image it didnt ask that. I did check and the image is RGB.

so I am confused.
Quote:Dynamics is turned off and the brush outline is enabled but does not show with a paint tool. The brush outline does not show up and I can not get the clone tool to work.

Not even the paint tool. ? That suggests it is not really a clone tool issue. Which brush are you using ?

Quote:I tried the clone tool on another image and it worked (jpg) but when I tried it again on my background image (jpg or png) it doesnt work. I did notice that with the other image it mentioned about converting it to RGB but with the larger image it didnt ask that. I did check and the image is RGB.

Worked with one image but not the other ? Converting to RGB is usually from one RGB profile to the internal Gimp sRBG profile. That should not make any difference to cloning.

Have you tried, Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options then Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values OK then restart Gimp and try again. Otherwise I do not know.