Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clone (and dodge) problems
Hello. I'm running Gimp 2.10 on Linux Mint 20.  I have a standard AFAIK rgb jpg from my android phone.  I am having trouble with the clone tool selecting a source.  I have got it to sometimes, but mostly not.  I don't know what I did to make it work, but it now won't work again.  

I know about holding ctrl to select source, then releasing it. But it's not working and  doesn't leave the source brush behind and sometimes leaves the error message to set a clone source - which disappears at some point (again, I can't make it go, not sure what the trigger is).

I am also having problems with the dodge/burn not toggling too.  
I've used the clone tool loads before with no problems, but I'm an intermittent user but have been for many years.
I also previously installed the resynthesiser plugin - could this be linked?

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it as I've used up a load of time getting nowhere.
Many thanks
An android phone jpeg should work. This is one in Gimp 2.10.32 / Mint 21

Before anything else, check the obvious. Tool options here detached to see all settings
(1) The brush. Use a suitable brush, make sure it is not the (empty) clipboard brush.
(2) Mode Normal / Opacity 100
(3) Tool size large enough to show
(4) Dynamics off 
(5) Alignment usually None / Aligned / Fixed
(6) Unless using registered alignment (clones from layer to layer or image to image) make sure you are on a visible layer.

Otherwise to reset everything to defaults: Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options then Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values Restart Gimp That should also fix dodge/burn

You can always post your own screenshot and someone might spot something.

Quote:I also previously installed the resynthesiser plugin - could this be linked?

No, it will not affect the clone tool, however depending on Mint and Gimp versions the support for associated python 'heal' plugins is not there.  Which version Mint? (20 and not updated ?) and Gimp version 2.10.?? (from PPA / repo / Flatpak / Appimage)