Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clone problems colour doesn't match the source
Having real problems again 

Was using clone and for some reason the colour is now slightly different than the source  sometimes lighter sometimes darker depending what I'm trying to cover 
I probably clicked on something by accident as this seems to happen to me .

I don't know if there is any thing you can click on that takes everything back to default settings when originally installed as that would be a great help.

Did once before uninstall and re install but that didn't help as it remembered my last settings.

I'm a real novice (idiot ) as far as tech goes .

Thanks in advance Kev  

Gimp 2.10.34_2

Windows 10 pro version 22H2

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Have we not been here before ? You have everything + the kitchen sink as tabs on the left side dock.

That might be great for someone who has been using Gimp every day for the last five years but really the best way is use the default set up until gain experience. It goes this way
In Gimp
Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Window Management and click on Reset Saved Window Positions to Default Values
and
Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options then Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values
Restart Gimp

example: https://i.imgur.com/wTXaZfY.mp4

When it comes to the clone tool, not really able to comment since since no clone tool options are showing and it depends on the mode. If it is 'Aligned' then the clone source moves with the brush. If it is 'Fixed' then there is a possibility of an optical illusion where a grey can appear lighter or darker depending on the surrounding colour.

Get your interface sorted, send a screenshot showing the clone tool with the tool options.
Thanks have just found a video on YouTube showing how to reset tools so have edited my post but didn't realise there had been a reply .

Still have the colour difference but will take a look at your advice.

Thanks again

Here is a new screen shot which I hope will help 

Thank you

Another scree shot

I can see the problem, it is a matter of perception.

Gimp has a tool called sample points which shows the colour value at a specific point. https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-sample-point-dialog.html

This a before and after, cloning from the grey surround to the grey-blue area

Top is before, blue is RGB 165,177,193  
Using the clone to clone in the adjacent area now RGB 202,202,200 Both points same colour but the cloned area appears lighter.

Is your task to even out the background colour ? You could use a select / fill.

(still missing the clone tool options alignment mode, it is off your screenshot. Let you off this time Wink )
Quote:"it is a matter of perception"

It is also important to note that the source point is quite far from the area to be cloned.
Although they look the same, there are differences between the hues at the two selected points.

It is best to always select the base font to be pasted as close as possible to the area to be edited.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
I'm actually  sourcing very close to the area as I'm sourcing from the number one the number two circle is actually from when I was taking the screen shot

hopefully this shot will show better 

It was working fine early on today but half way though editing one pic it seemed to change and I'm guessing I clicked on something by accident to do this.

I'm using the clone tool to remove shadows and other things I don't want in my pictures for instance I might want to remove the light switch from the wall by cloning the wall over the light switch  

I have struggled with the same issue.  I don't know if it is a setting or perception.

If the clone tool isn't working the way I want it to I switch to copy and paste.  For example to remove the light switch first select it with rectangular select.  Then switch to the move tool.  Then move the selection to a fix-it area, then copy, then move the selection back to its original location and then paste. To move the original selection to the fix-it area use the move tool together with Ctrl Alt Drag.    After copying in the fix-it location use undo (Ctrl Z) to move the selection back to the original location, then paste.

The sequence is simple.  First create the selection then Ctrl Alt Drag Ctrl C Ctrl Z Ctrl P.  For a larger area you can convert the pasted floating layer to a layer and then duplicate it (q on my keyboard) multiple times and move it around.

The procedure is useful for detailed shapes using free select.  Trace the detailed shape and then move the selection to the fix-it area, then Ctrl C Ctrl Z Ctrl P.  Finish up with the heal tool.

You could use copy and paste in the same location as you are using the clone tool to verify whether or not the clone tool is making an exact copy.
Your clone tool works just fine.

Your brush is too big, there is already RGB discrepancies few pixels apart.

Patrice
In my above post I should have used Ctrl V for paste instead of Ctrl P.
Not really an answer to the cloning question, but there are also other solutions to delete things in a photo. It depends on the situation. A few examples: the heal filter (Filters / Enhance / Heal selection) or copy part of the photo and scale it in one direction as shown in the example (Tools / Transform tools / Scale). Then 'New from visible' to blend the copied part into the photo. Use the Healing Tool in case of color boundary errors.