Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layers Locked even after uninstall and reinstall gimp
I was using gimp earlier today and setting a layer to semi opaque so I could see through it to another earlier picture of the same location. However, I must have changed some setting in the process. I don't use gimp all that much and making a layer semi tramsparent even less. As I was looking around the layer tools I may have accidentally locked something. However, I couldn't find how to unlock it. I tried other photos from other sources and upon opening they were all locked to. I got the icon on screen indicating locked for the cursor. I tried uninstalling gimp and reinstalling it. It still behaves the same. I've made the canvas bigger than the image as well. I can't move it.

The new install is gimp 2.10.32 and I know the previous was a also 2.10. I think the same version.

Any ideas???
(07-20-2022, 10:34 PM)TMORT Wrote: I was using gimp earlier today and setting a layer to semi opaque so I could see through it to another earlier picture of the same location. However, I must have changed some setting in the process. I don't use gimp all that much and making a layer semi tramsparent even less. As I was looking around the layer tools I may have accidentally locked something. However, I couldn't find how to unlock it. I tried other photos from other sources and upon opening they were all locked to. I got the icon on screen indicating locked for the cursor. I tried uninstalling gimp and reinstalling it. It still behaves the same. I've made the canvas bigger than the image as well. I can't move it.

The new install is gimp 2.10.32 and I know the previous was a also 2.10. I think the same version.

Any ideas???

A screenshot with your whole Gimp UI would be useful.

Until then, short in the dark: position and size for a layer are locked with buttons in the Lock line a the top of the layers list (highlighted with red dot below), if so click again to unlock.

I've attached a couple screenshots  

In one the lock move button has a grey background and the other is surrounded by black. I assume the one with the black it is toggled to on. In both cases though it is locked. The cursor changes to the locked cursor as you can see on this picture.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Interesting the way users set up their ideal Gimp.

From the screenshot(s) I can see:
You are using the move tool (1) but from the cursor icon it is in path mode (2) but you will never know because you do not have the tool options open. That is path mode (3),  put the move tool into layer mode - the left side icon.

There might be a path to move or not but you will never know because you do not have a path dock open (4) and any path made visible.

...and yes you do have the layer lock in place (5), not easy to see with the dreadful default black theme, toggle that off. Those toggles, lock pixels / position&size / alpha, are on a per-layer basis and should not affect other images.

Surprising for a linux user to re-install (LinuxMint very nice), usually it is Windows users reinstall at the drop of a hat Wink
However, same for everyone, all the settings remain in your user profile not changed by a re-install.
(07-21-2022, 11:15 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Interesting the way users set up their ideal Gimp.

From the screenshot(s) I can see:
You are using the move tool (1) but from the cursor icon it is in path mode (2) but you will never know because you do not have the tool options open. That is path mode (3),  put the move tool into layer mode - the left side icon.

There might be a path to move or not but you will never know because you do not have a path dock open (4) and any path made visible.

...and yes you do have the layer lock in place (5), not easy to see with the dreadful default black theme, toggle that off. Those toggles, lock pixels / position&size / alpha, are on a per-layer basis and should not affect other images.

Surprising for a linux user to re-install (LinuxMint very nice), usually it is Windows users reinstall at the drop of a hat Wink
However, same for everyone, all the settings remain in your user profile not changed by a re-install.

Thanks, found the tools options settings and changed it.  Not sure how I switched it. I should learn more about all the dialog windows, what they are all called and how they all work. I only use GIMP from time to time and usually have to look up how to do many things and usually learn which one to open and what it is called at that time, but they are sort of a mystery to me. I think maybe it was originally there and the layer dock was not visible, so I leaned how to open that, but somewhere in all that may have closed the tool options window after I inadvertently toggled it off.
There is in Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options

A button Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values, clicking that should fix the move tool.

Same place Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management

A button Reset Saved Window Positions to Default Values which would get you back to the 'as-installed' format. ...but... that is the other extreme, I do not know what the developers were thinking of. Too many tabs for functions a new user will never initially need.

Add your missing docks using the Gimp Menu Windows -> Dockable Dialogues They do end up clustered in the one dock but at least you know they are there.
(07-21-2022, 12:40 PM)rich2005 Wrote: There is in Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options

A button Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values, clicking that should fix the move tool.

Same place Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management

A button Reset Saved Window Positions to Default Values which would get you back to the 'as-installed' format. ...but... that is the other extreme, I do not know what the developers were thinking of. Too many tabs for functions a new user will never initially need.

Add your missing docks using the Gimp Menu Windows -> Dockable Dialogues They do end up clustered in the one dock but at least you know they are there.

See also: Managing tool options and window positions