Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Color in existing .jpg or .png
Photo 
Hi,

i was asked to color a B&W drawing of art, this to be exact.

Do I need to make multiple layers of this image to get the fill tool to make the bucket grey, wheel white stone, and the frame shades of wooden brown?

How do I go about colorizing something like this?
See the "attachments" link at the top for instructions.

You can paint over the lines (and the black dots in the stone) by either:
  • adding a layer, setting it to Multiply mode and painting on it with a tool in Normal mode. You can have a single layer but it could be more convenient in the end to have one per color (so that  you can easily change that color later)
  • painting directly on the layer with a tool in Multiply mode.
This is one case where small is not a great advantage. As downloaded, only 316x247 pix. I would not even think about bucket fill. Make plenty layers and paint under the original.

First of all give the original transparency.  Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel  Then remove the white, leaving the outline.  Colors -> Color to Alpha (white is the default)

Then plenty of layers, one for each colour / area and paint in. The order of the layers does matter, a higher layer masks a lower layer, so think about it.

The only snag is a white? stone, I had to make this on its own from the original, erase and adjust before adding right at the top of the stack. I think a bit of texture is best - up to you.

All-in-all not as straight forward as you might expect.

example attached, check the layers.

Attached Files
.gz   Grindstone.xcf.gz (Size: 76.9 KB / Downloads: 117)
Ah. Thank you. So multiple layers it is. The grindstone pictures sourced show this offwhite or cream colored sand stone.
With the .xcf file provided by Rich2005 you can change the colors to your liking and get the tone you prefer.
I tried with a magnification using inkscape, but the texture got lost in that way, still an option.