Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open source auto photo enhancement
My dad has used a program called Ashampoo Photo Optimizer under Windows for several years to batch process photos to (usually) make them look slightly better with zero effort on his behalf.

We've both had a search but we've been unable to find a similar open source program for Linux. Imagemagick has this command:

Code:
convert inputfile -channel rgb -auto-level outputfile

but that doesn't really do anything to enhance the image at all.

Is there a plugin for GIMP that can be combined with something like BIMP to auto batch enhance photos or does anyone know of a FOSS program might be a suitable replacement for Ashampoo Photo Optimizer?
Quote:...Is there a plugin for GIMP that can be combined with something like BIMP to auto batch enhance photos ..

It is the 'auto' bit that is the unknown here.
Ashampoo says, quote...The built-in image optimization scans each photo for issues with exposure, color temperature, sharpness, stains, and contrast. Our specially developed algorithm detects and fixes these issues fully automatically–with optimal results.

Each of those settings can be adjusted one-way-or-another and applied in a batch script. I tend towards using the gimp_gmic_qt plugin http://www.gmic.eu
**but**
These will be manual adjustments and what is good for one image might not be good for another image.

I would ask the question on pixls.us forum https://discuss.pixls.us/ where several other graphics programs are discussed, someone might have a good answer.
You want to look at Colors > Levels... > Auto Input Levels

Which is the same as Colors > Auto > White balance

Both are in the BIMP's action

in GMIC (a gimp plugin) it has a preview for nearly every filter and you can apply the filter without closing it then if you need another you can do the same. Press ok on the last filter you useand everything will go back into gimp. I can usually enhance a photo using just a couple of filters, or three.
Try it out and you will work out the best workflow (and quickest for you)

Smile
@danbold - if you ever come back.

A bit disappointing, no replies so far over at pixls.us and topics go off-radar so quickly over there.

While Gimp will never (so far) do built-in image optimization scans each photo for issues with exposure, color temperature, sharpness, stains, and contrast.

This example video might work for the batch requirement. It uses BIMP and also the gimp_gmic_qt plugin.  

https://youtu.be/i3LeBDEzrCA  duration five-and-a-half minutes.

It is a framework that you can add to.

It still comes down to the images being processed - what works for landscapes might not work for portraits and smart phone photos might never be any good.
If you want to post one image stating what you would like done, we could show and tell you the quickest way to do it.

aha! found this https://www.ashampoo.com/en-us/photo-optimizer-free

Smile
Or if you have as you said. have a Linux OS you can download one here or do it online at the same place
https://snapcraft.io/image-optimizer

Smile
(07-02-2023, 04:40 PM)danboid Wrote: My dad has used a program called Ashampoo Photo Optimizer under Windows for several years to batch process photos to (usually) make them look slightly better with zero effort on his behalf.

We've both had a search but we've been unable to find a similar open source program for Linux. Imagemagick has this command:

Code:

Is there a plugin for GIMP that can be combined with something like BIMP to auto batch enhance photos through remini mod apk or does anyone know of a FOSS program might be a suitable replacement for Ashampoo Photo Optimizer?
Hi, On the iPhone, there is an option to automatically enhance a photo after clicking on it in the gallery, and it will fix red-eye, colours, brightness and contrast. Is there something similar for Android that I can use to enhance the photos in my gallery? I've been searching but I *don't* want an Instagram-esque filter app (there are hundreds of those out there) - I just want a simple single-click photo enhancement app. Any recommendation please? Thanks.
(09-11-2023, 05:52 AM)pexaj Wrote:
(07-02-2023, 04:40 PM)danboid Wrote: My dad has used a program called Ashampoo Photo Optimizer under Windows for several years to batch process photos to (usually) make them look slightly better with zero effort on his behalf.

Code:

Is there a plugin for GIMP that can be combined with something like BIMP to auto batch enhance photos through remini mod apk or does anyone know of a FOSS program might be a suitable replacement for Ashampoo Photo Optimizer?
Hi, On the iPhone, there is an option to automatically enhance a photo after clicking on it in the gallery, and it will fix red-eye, colours, brightness and contrast. Is there something similar for Android that I can use to enhance the photos in my gallery? I've been searching but I *don't* want an Instagram-esque filter app (there are hundreds of those out there) - I just want a simple single-click photo enhancement app. Any recommendation please? Thanks.

Plenty of options in the "Photos" application in standard Android... including a very simple Improve button. Then it may depend on Android version and phone make/model, some manufacturer  (Xiaomi, from personal experience) replace standard apps with their own underwhelming apps  (but the real apps are still in the Play Store).

With Gimp there are some options in the Colors > Auto menu.