Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get eraserproof layer background?
Hi,

I am using Gimp 2.8.18 on Debian 9 64-bit Gnome 3.22.2.

My problem: I load a JPG image, add a new layer (fill type: white), paint on the layer, but when I erase some paintstrokes I always erase also the white layer background getting regions of checkerboard pattern.

How can I add a layer I can erase on without damaging the background?

Thanks,

gnuimpcub
(02-27-2018, 02:39 PM)gnuimpcub Wrote: Hi,

I am using Gimp 2.8.18 on Debian 9 64-bit Gnome 3.22.2.

My problem: I load a JPG image, add a new layer (fill type: white), paint on the layer, but when I erase some paintstrokes I always erase also the white layer background getting regions of checkerboard pattern.

How can I add a layer I can erase on without damaging the background?

Thanks,

gnuimpcub

The checkerboard background is transparency. I'm guessing you're wanting to remove something from the jpeg you are talking about.
Yeah, the way the question as posted is a bit confusing.

Add a layer - white or otherwise and it will appear above the (jpeg) image. A chequer pattern implies it is under the jpeg.

Regardless, Adding a layer and it will have an alpha channel. Go into Layer -> Transparency -> Remove Alpha Channel Removing the alpha channel and transparency is removed. Using the eraser tool works but uses the background (BG) colour, so make sure that is white. Of course, painting over in white has the same effect.

screenshot https://i.imgur.com/mR4MSRj.jpg

A better way, Two layers a transparent layer over a white layer, paint on the transparent layer then you do not have to worry about the chequer pattern.

screenshot https://i.imgur.com/EAKm93s.jpg

@gnuimpcub if you can post a screenshot it always helps.
(02-27-2018, 03:18 PM)rich2005 Wrote: A better way, Two layers a transparent layer over a white layer, paint on the transparent layer then you do not have to worry about the chequer pattern.

Thank you very much, that's  it Smile