Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorize procedure no longer works
V2.10.20

I meticulously followed this video. Wrote down every step
https://youtu.be/JW_siMWqnr4
and applied the technique to a couple of B&W.jpg images. Worked fine. Was able to apply skin tones, hair tone  etc as in the video.

Today I try another couple B&Ws. I get as far as ready to paint the first layer (skin tone) but nothing happens. I wipe the brush over the image and it stubbornly stays B&W.

Went over the video again and over my notes. And redid from scratch again. No go.

I then reloaded one of the earlier xcf images that worked before (still unfinished)
Same thing. Paintbrush does nothing.  Newly created palettes make no difference.

I re-installed GIMP just in case. Nope Same dead end. 

Completely baffled!

W7 x64 8GB RAM

Marty
Over long video, over verbose. Very hands on method.

The basics are:
Make sure the B&W image is in RGB made Image -> Mode -> RGB
Duplicate photo layer
Apply colour to the whole duplicate layer with suitable palette Colors -> Map -> Palette Map
Change the layer mode to Lch Color
Add a layer mask to the duplicate layer Layer -> Mask -> Add Layer Mask Black (full transparency)
Click in the layer mask to make it active - look for the white border
Paint in white in the canvas to uncover the bits you want.
Repeat for the other colours of image.   There: That did not take 28 minutes did it Wink

First thoughts, the layer mask is not active and you are painting on the coloured layer. Does any white show in the layer mask ? (1)
However, From the rest of your post some things to check
(2) Check FG colour is White
(3) Use a suitable brush, make sure it is not an empty clipboard brush
(4) Check the brush mode It should be Normal not one of the other modes.

There are other possibilities - example  layer pixel lock, but unlikely.

Quote:I re-installed GIMP just in case. Nope Same dead end.

I do not know why Windows users reinstall applications at the drop-of-a-hat. Gimp keeps the user settings in a separate folder, C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ which remains between installations. Gimp also keeps the last used Tool settings between sessions. Easy to set something and forget by the time Gimp is next used.

If not the above, try Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options  then Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values ok and restart Gimp.

Otherwise post a screenshot of what you have showing layers / tool options
G'day rich2005

Thank you for your reply

Still stuck! Have also reset panel setting as suggested

Note the copy with the layer mask next to it is not filled with the skin tone color as I recall from my first experiences and as is shown in your example. There is some step still missing (forgotten). Needless to say, brushing over the image does nothing.

Don't know how to embed an image in this post, so it is here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdpt8k17bh1of3...1.jpg?dl=0

Also, how can I get the the Layers and Tools panel together in the same right-hand box so I do not have to stitch a screen copy of the second panel to show you both together?

Marty
Good screenshot, It shows the problem. The top layer is not coloured.  Davies is really a PS user who makes money with these videos, not always the best methods, however using Colors -> Map -> Palette Map is one way although having to create 'bespoke' palettes is not my idea of easy.

Best guess: The active palette is not the skin tone palette, Go and open the palette dock  and check before applying the Palette Map filter.

Quote:how can I get the the Layers and Tools panel together in the same right-hand box

edit: oops, not paying attention. You do not really want to do this? Ok if you are an experienced Gimp user.

Go into multi-window mode Windows menu and untick 'single window mode. Move the two small windows over to the right hand side. Back to the Windows menu and enable single window mode.
Tabs in the docks can be dragged around. Up to you which ones you keep

example: https://i.imgur.com/0MD3Ykz.mp4
It's easy to fix some unnecessary inconsistencies when looking at the image available in the dropbox:

1- The brush mode is in HSL Color. Change this to normal;
2- Dynamics is in Basic Dynamics. Switch to dynamics Off;
3- The two layers are identical, even if you correctly use the brush on the second layer's mask no change will be noticeable. It is necessary to color the second layer.
@ Krikor

No, that is not the way this particular workflow goes. If you have time check the video referenced in the first post.
(08-05-2021, 03:27 PM)rich2005 Wrote: @ Krikor

No, that is not the way this particular workflow goes. If you have time check the video referenced in the first post.

Rich2005,

Ohhhh it's almost 30 minutes of video! An eternity.  Dodgy
Still I rushed the video to a certain part and with less than 20 seconds I found a part of which I made a shootscreen.

Perhaps the comparison of the two images can better explain what I tried to say with words.
[Image: htgTErx.jpg]
Your argument is in English called "a red herring" Wink In this particular case, painting in a layer mask, it does not matter if using either dynamics-off or dynamics-basic.
(08-05-2021, 07:54 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Your argument is in English called "a red herring" Wink In this particular case, painting in a layer mask, it does not matter if using either dynamics-off or dynamics-basic.

→ a red herring - A red herring is something that misleads or distracts from a relevant or important question. It may be either a logical fallacy or a literary device that leads readers or audiences toward a false conclusion. Wikipedia

I had to research the meaning of this new term.

I agree and admit that I fit this definition of red herring.  Blush Angel

I followed this path trying to show Marty0750 that he had left a gap in the checks regarding the statements he posted:

Quote:"I meticulously followed this video. Wrote down every step" and "Went over the video again and over my notes. And redid from scratch again. No go."

The differences pointed out by me (Dynamics and brush mode) perhaps did not imply anything in the solution of the problem, but showed that there was no thoroughness (meticulousness?) in the verification on his part.

The important thing is that it resolved his doubts!   Rolleyes
(08-05-2021, 09:05 PM)Krikor Wrote:
(08-05-2021, 07:54 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Your argument is in English called "a red herring" Wink In this particular case, painting in a layer mask, it does not matter if using either dynamics-off or dynamics-basic.

→ a red herring - A red herring is something that misleads or distracts from a relevant or important question. It may be either a logical fallacy or a literary device that leads readers or audiences toward a false conclusion. Wikipedia

I had to research the meaning of this new term.

I agree and admit that I fit this definition of red herring.  Blush Angel

I followed this path trying to show Marty0750 that he had left a gap in the checks regarding the statements he posted:

Quote:"I meticulously followed this video. Wrote down every step" and "Went over the video again and over my notes. And redid from scratch again. No go."

The differences pointed out by me (Dynamics and brush mode) perhaps did not imply anything in the solution of the problem, but showed that there was no thoroughness (meticulousness?) in the verification on his part.

The important thing is that it resolved his doubts!   Rolleyes

Hi people.

A belated thank you for your assistance. (Had login issues for a couple weeks) I finally got the procedure down and working well.

Marty