Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colors changing ... by themselves?
I'm selecting a color using the eye dropper. Then changing the color of a small area to the picked color. This was working fine until recently! However now it isn't working. Guessing that I may have changed a setting inadvertently while adjusting the image with the options given in the 'colors' tab of the menu? So, now, when the eye dropper picks #ecb377, the 'fill the foreground' command is painting #f5bb7c! I haven't been able to find out what the issue is and would appreciate ideas for solving this. The picture has several levels (variants of same image) and currently am not able to ensure the same colors are being used on all the levels.
May be you have "Sample average" and/or "Sample merged" checked
If so un-tick them

More about it > https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-...icker.html
If you have a color-indexed image (GIF) then all colors you use are coerced into one of the colors in the color map. If your color picker is averaging the colors over several pixels, the output may be a color which is is not in the color map and so will be skewed if you use it when painting.
Thank you, Ofnuts and PixLab. The eye dropper seems to be working fine and the image is in RGB mode. I imported a palette for the image to make coloring consistent. But, still pencil, bucket, etc seem to modify the colors when painting. Can't tell what may have been changed. It all seems to have started after playing 'round wirh curves, etc and trying to reduce number of colors with 'posterize'. Ironically now I'm ending up with more tones and shades of colors than planned for!