Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Configure gimp to save jpegs in format compatible with older programs
I've seen it mentioned about how some settings will break compatbility with older programs but can't remember where that was.  I'm missing the jpeg configuration options in the export as dialog.  Is the option under image?

Thx
Masteratarms
For jpeg images you should have an export dialogue like this.  Expand the Advanced Options for extras

There are some devices, typically "digital photo frames" that require the jpeg in 'interleaved mode' so untick that Progressive Option
While there maybe untick exiv and save thumbnail as well.

Other formats: 
Gimp 2.10 .xcf is not always backward compatible with Gimp 2.8 Layer Modes in particular need to be 'legacy'
By the way, see that "Save defaults" button in Rich's screenshot? Just click it to make these parameters permanent...
I went into edit preferences and checked a few things including show advanced colour dialog and when I went to export I got that secondary window popup with the advanced export options. I unchecked "use arithmetic coding", thats the culprit. Thanks for the help.
It is probably worth posting straight from Gimp help:

Quote:Use arithmetic coding
Arithmetic encoding is a form of entropy encoding (a lossless data compression scheme) that, since GIMP-2.10 can be used in exporting as JPEG. Images using arithmetic encoding can be 5 - 10 % smaller. But older softwares may have trouble opening these images.

Not enabled by default. User has to turn this setting on.