Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confirm Closing of Unsaved images - Missing
Under Preferences>Environment in Gimp 2.8.10 there is a check box 'Confirm closing of unsaved images'. In Gimp 2.8.18 this feature is missing in Environment. Has this been moved to another area or just deleted? Is there a way to issue a text command that would be equivalent to unchecking this box? Thanks Fred
Not AFAIK, but your fingers can learn Ctrl-W/Ctrl-D (or Ctrl-Q/Ctrl-D if there are several images open and you like taking risks).
Handicap makes Ctrl-anything difficult. Is Gimp 2.8.20 missing this feature? Thanks Fred
I doubt it has been put back, because it is unsafe (you can lose work). There are scripts/plugins around that restore the former Gimp behavior (where "saving" as a "flat" format (JPG, PNG, GIF) would mark the image "saved" and so not require the "save as XCF" when quitting). For instance: save-export-clean.py that you'll find here: https://github.com/akkana/gimp-plugins/

But you are shooting yourself in the foot. In 2.6 times numerous folks came to the forum asking for help after they had saved an image as JPG and quit without re-saving as XCF.
Problem is I open MANY images just to copy a portion of them. They are not being "changed", yet it asks me if I want to save before closing. And when I do save an image to XCF and then export to PNG and TIF it asks for me to save the XCF again before closing. I've using 2.8.10 since it became available and have NEVER "shot myself in the foot". I'll check out the scripts you suggest. Thanks Fred
(02-13-2017, 10:44 PM)Just Fred Wrote: Problem is I open MANY images just to copy a portion of them. They are not being "changed", yet it asks me if I want to save before closing.

Yes, they are. If you copied a portion of them, then you did a selection and the selection is part of the image data. So for Gimp they are changed.

Note that if you keep the images around you can still quit Gimp with two keystrokes: Ctrl-Q, Ctrl-D.
(02-14-2017, 01:24 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(02-13-2017, 10:44 PM)Just Fred Wrote: Problem is I open MANY images just to copy a portion of them. They are not being "changed", yet it asks me if I want to save before closing.

Yes, they are. If you copied a portion of them, then you did a selection and the selection is part of the image data. So for Gimp they are changed.

Note that if you keep the images around you can still quit Gimp with two keystrokes: Ctrl-Q, Ctrl-D.

Physical handicap makes Ctrl-anything nearly impossible. Thanks Fred
(02-14-2017, 06:04 AM)Just Fred Wrote:
(02-14-2017, 01:24 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:

Physical handicap makes Ctrl-anything nearly impossible. Thanks Fred

You can redefine the keyboard shortcuts: Edit>Keyboard shortcuts
Quote:Note that if you keep the images around you can still quit Gimp with two keystrokes: Ctrl-Q, Ctrl-D

You can do this without using the Ctrl key, using the mouse only.

File > Quit
and then click on "Discard Changes"
Going back to the first post the complaint was about that closing image dialogue which was introduced in Gimp 2.8.12
Quote:...Problem is I open MANY images just to copy a portion of them. They are not being "changed", yet it asks me if I want to save before closing. ...

If taking Just Fred's stated method, open lots of images, nothing done except copy for pasting in another canvas then a possibility is 

There is a short-cut strong undo. Normally shift-ctrl-Z but that could be reassigned to a single key say Z

Then a couple of hits on Z to clear any selections followed by closing the image tab should work (but not always).